Thursday, April 6, 2017

SCORING THE RACE

SCORING THE RACE
Thursday, April 06, 2017

Phippians [GW] 3:12-17; 4:4-9 It's not that I've already reached the goal or have already completed the course. But I run to win that which Jesus Christ has already won for me. Brothers and sisters, I can't consider myself a winner yet. This is what I do: I don't look back, I lengthen my stride, and
I run straight toward the goal to win the prize that God's heavenly call offers in Christ Jesus. Whoever has a mature faith should think this way. And if you think differently, God will show you how to think. However, we should be guided by what we have learned so far. Brothers and sisters, imitate me, and pay attention to those who live by the example we have given you.  … Always be joyful in the Lord! I'll say it again: Be joyful! Let everyone know how considerate you are. The Lord is near. Never worry about anything. But in every situation let God know what you need in prayers and requests while giving thanks. Then God's peace, which goes beyond anything we can imagine, will guard your thoughts and emotions through Christ Jesus. Finally, brothers and sisters, keep your thoughts on whatever is right or deserves praise: things that are true, honorable, fair, pure, acceptable, or commendable. Practice what you've learned and received from me, what you heard and saw me do. Then the God who gives this peace will be with you. [Please read all of context.]

“When subjective to emotions you will have difficulty or find it impossible to be objective in observation, decision making, and actions taken.” Edwin Bennett Bullock 3rd to his son, boy Sunny.

  My Dad, though neither professing Christian or church-goer, endeavored to teach me wisdom; though I was considered judicious by aunts especially, it was wisdom that I did not completely adapt to or at all agree to until after I trusted Lord Jesus Christ. Not outwardly emotional I was however passive aggressive and anxious. A quiet fretting that was at times expensive in body, soul, and spirit.
  After accepting Jesus’ redemption I began hearing Dad, reading God’s Word, seeing therein provision for a quickened life I opted to run on the truly judicious racetrack. Sometimes ahead, sometimes stumbling over my own feet, at times spitting out cinders. I can now see the finish line nearer than ever before, but my run is definitely not yet over. There remains much more ground to cover before attaining physical resurrection
  In our moments (Not dwelling on!) of review pondering stumbling and failures, to candidly evaluate we must include progress. Why? Well, for a major reason: We seldom go from A to Z, the example in my case being passive-aggression and anxiety. I did not go directly from active to less-active to non-active. As with Bunyan’s Pilgrim, I travel with side trips. 
  As I testify, the Word provided the foremost direction for me. But being visual I had difficulty in marking the trail. Maps and charts and diagrams work well for me. (For those of you baffled by road maps, blueprints and schematics, you will have difficulty visualizing with what follows here.)
  I designed a chart that determined travel that highlighted progress or the need for further application of God’s Word or for a rest stop.(Mk.6:31) In classes behind the walls I taught the chart. Many inmates found it helpful because until then they had a total fail<->total success attitude.
  On large white board in vertical left I list anger as it is common, followed by their input. (Input varied from class to class, but there was always anger, anxiety, depression, violence, sex.) Actively interested students copied on paper as we went along. Across the top over vertical columns I had them suggest ages actual or social. 7, 10, 12, 13, et al or toddler, child, preteen, teen, et al. In the intersecting vertical/horizontal squares I had them score themselves at each age or social junction. 10 being the worst score for them, zero being maturity as opposed to what once was their way.
  The chart class was one of my favorites due to the light that came to some eyes when they saw reality good and bad in their life. I remember some being excited at discovering that anger was their teen thing that they then developed into an expensive habit of undesirable emotions. An overbearing need for recognition, violence physical or shrewd, unhealthy escapes etc. resulting in arrival at place they did not want to be in body, soul, and spirit.
  Now, for those of us never incarcerated, or more likely, “never caught”. . . I encourage periodic self-examination. It’s Biblical!  (1Cor.11:28; 2Cor.13:5) And if you have any further questions on the chart that helped me, just ask.
EBB4

  

No comments:

Post a Comment