Tuesday, November 3, 2020

THE VALUE OF CONTENTION

 

THE VALUE OF CONTENTION

 

Proverbs [GW] 13:10 Arrogance produces only quarreling, but those who take advice gain wisdom. …

Luke 14:11 Those who honor themselves will be humbled, but people who humble themselves will be honored."

James 4:6 … God’s Word tells us, "God opposes arrogant people, but he is kind to humble people."

 

  As with most people, I dislike contention. For decades I let this dislike stand in the way of opportunities for maturation. This I learned from a supervisor that decided to mentor me. Mr. Robert Brettschneider showed me that contentious employees made him examine situations in a way that team players did not. At times they brought out problems that team players would not mention.

  The adversity of contention, complaint, strife, conflict, disharmony can reveal much.  Contention with its companion adversity may have great value as it presents opportunity for personal examination as to whether the root cause is our pride, or not; maximizing probability of objective resolution and edification; or, being mulishly resistant to listening, maximizing dreadful emotionally subjective failure. It was quite a shock to realize and accept that I am arrogant when not considering what a contentious person is saying.

  When I recognize my pride as hindrance, I then may receive wise instruction. (Mt.13:9-16) Without such acknowledgment and appreciation I do not respect God, and can expect naught but resistance from Him. (Heb.11:6; Jam.4:6)

  Indeed God’s grace is free, but there is an essential requirement before reception of edification; humility, a humble spirit.

 

O Lord, at times I am contentious. I confess that I am a prideful person, often much desiring to be right above being godly and pleasing to You. I thank You for the attention-getting recognition value of contention, for without it I know I wouldn’t even come close to seeing my pride as You do. Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me that I might do Your good pleasure and build on the one and only foundation You provide. (Ps.51:10, 18; 1Cor.3:11) 

 

  For further contemplation, I consider a psalm of David: “Blessed is the man whose transgression is forgiven, whose sin is covered. Blessed is the man to whom Jehovah does not charge iniquity, and in whose spirit there is no guile. When I kept silence, my bones became old through my roaring all the day long. For by day and by night Your hand was heavy on me; my sap is turned into the droughts of summer. Selah. I confessed my sin to You, and my iniquity I have not hidden. I said, I will confess my transgression to Jehovah; and You forgave the iniquity of my sin. Selah. For this let every godly one pray to You, in a time when You may be found; surely in the floods of great waters they shall not come near him. You are my hiding place; You shall preserve me from trouble; You shall circle me with songs of deliverance. Selah. I will instruct you and teach you in the way which you should go; I will counsel you, My eye shall be on you. Be not like the horse, or like the mule, who have no understanding, whose mouth must be held in with bit and bridle, so that they do not come near you. The wicked has many sorrows, but mercy embraces him who trusts in Jehovah. Be glad in Jehovah, and rejoice, you righteous; and shout for joy, all you upright in heart.” (Ps.32) 

EBB4

 

PS. In autumn 1963 when I heard God’s Holy Word graciously urged by Bud Bond, I accepted God’s wonderful gift of resurrection present and future. Soon thereafter Bud began encouraging me to select a personally meaningful life verse. After much thought, and a few other observant folks suggesting, I selected Psalm 32:8-9 and of necessity review it unto this day and plan on continuance.

No comments:

Post a Comment