Monday, January 31, 2022

PERSONAL REDEMPTION

 

PERSONAL REDEMPTION

John 17:17 [Jesus prayed] Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth.

1Peter 1:24-25 For all flesh is as grass, and all the glory of man as the flower of grass. The grass withereth, and the flower thereof falleth away: But the word of the Lord endureth for ever. And this is the word which by the gospel is preached unto you. 

  God’s Holy Spirit works with mankind in both general ways and individually. The two common areas being experience and intellect, my being both.

  I was raised in a moral family. Aesop’s Fables, wise adages, and the 10 Commandments taught but unquoted were mainstays, and high on the list were examples. But other than public school morning ritual of the Lord’s Prayer and readings from Psalms plus an 8th grade Gideons assembly, occasional C & E Methodist church visits, and my involvement in a Roman Catholic BSA troop, a picture Bible that Aunt Edith gifted, I received no regular church training. Ann and I were married at William Waters Methodist Church and attended until we took up water skiing and other activities. Challenging Biblical exposure came the Summer and Autumn of my 27th year.

  Beginning October, 1955, I began 43 years employment by Western Electric, ATT, and Lucent and now receive my pension and benefits from them. To get ahead more quickly I took higher graded positions that most men there didn’t want as they were hot, oily, dirty, riskier, and involved more labor than street clothed bench-hand assembly. (By the time I attained upper pay grade with more responsibility/less labor older long-term employees contested my status doing so to no avail as they had never taken the necessary qualifying lower steps.)

  Irving Garfield “Bud” Bond was a senior grade 36 diecaster in the WECo. aluminum foundry. I was a grade 34 utility working various tasks as needed, sometimes substituting for those ill or injured.

  A lifelong reader I enjoyed my 2 breaks and lunchtime library time alone. That is, until Bud asked if he could join me. I agreed on a trial basis.

  Though I’d never heard “evangelical Christian” I soon discovered he passionately was one. Bud was neither loud or pushy. He was gentle and polite.

  The conversations were very interesting, but after 6 weeks I politely told Bud that I wanted to end our sessions. Bud asked why. I explained my respect for him and his beliefs but that I could not accept his basic premise that the Bible is the Word of God.

  In response Bud asked if I would read one more piece of literature, and then let him know if I still wanted to terminate our time together. The next day he handed me a 34 page 10 points booklet, 10 REASONS WHY I BELIEVE THE BIBLE IS THE WORD OF GOD, by William W. Orr.

  After reading the booklet I saw the obvious; I needed to personally reconcile with Sovereign Jehovah God Almighty. 12:30am driving home from work I made my clumsy plea to God and my life changed forever. All glory to Jehovah God Almighty, His son Lord Jesus Christ, and His Holy Spirit that indwells those who trust Him! (Eph.1:13)

EBB4

No comments:

Post a Comment