Thursday, September 24, 2020

REALIGNING OUR THINKING

 

REALIGNING OUR THINKING

 

Romans [MKJV] 12:1-3  I beseech you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God to present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, pleasing to God, which is your reasonable service. And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, in order to prove by you what is that good and pleasing and perfect will of God. For I say, through the grace given to me, to every one who is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think. But set your mind to be right-minded, even as God has dealt to every man the measure of faith. 

 

  Romans 12:1-3 is a core motivational portion of God’s Word for me.

  Not at all overbearing, but an ongoing joyful endeavor is the work of realigned thinking for me. Admittedly with ego at times a hindrance. Ego sometimes being in the form of comfortable beloved embedded tradition. Today I present two examples of my shift to Biblical right-mindedness. Both embraced and passed on in my early decades of church discipleship.

  “You cannot know you are really saved unless you can recount a time and place, just as in the ‘I do’ of marriage.” This being something I was taught and did teach even though dear Ann knew otherwise. She stating she and others rejoiced in blessed assurance though she couldn’t define by calendar or geography.

  A time and place stipulation are not required. Even the much touted “I do” example actually proves such specification false; for belief precedes public declaration. (The same true with Biblical baptism.)

  The second taught-believed-retaught by me religious doctrine was what is commonly referred to as the “sinners’ prayer”, a repeat-after-me plea and pledge.  For one thing it has only been in vogue about 200 years among evangelicals, it thought to have begun in tent revivals.

  Though some rest upon it and are born again, the intonation is not the magic catalyst unto God’s redemption and the “quickened life”. (Rom.3:24; Gal.3:13; 4:5; Ps.119:50, 93; 1Cor.15:36; Eph.2:1, 5; Col.2:13; 1Pet.3:18) For one thing it leans towards “I did it.” Contractual agreement.

  More on this later matter tomorrow.

  Until then, keep traveling God’s Way. (Jn.14:6)

EBB4

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment