Wednesday, June 17, 2020

POLYWHAT


POLYWHAT
Wednesday, June 17, 2020

  When I first settled in the heartland, a new elder friend, holder of Husker season tickets, thought to give me a pleasurable treat. “I’d like to take you to a Husker game.” said he. Unlike other Husker fans, he did not think my gentle “No thank you.” accompanied with explanation of lack of interest as being weird beyond comprehension.
  After discovering that I am more excited about vocabulary than men ballgames, he encouraged me to write.
  Not long after Lyle’s boosterism for me, the Overcomers In Christ staff presented me with an award plaque reading “The Logic Leapers Association hereby recognizes and honors Edwin Bullock IV for the most frequent and far-reaching leaps of logic in a single conversation.”
  The point here being that God has made and equipped all of us differently, and we must accept this in self and others else we live distracted lives; less-effective than possible.
  Soon thereafter I learned an intriguing new word, polymath. A word I don’t remember reading at any time prior.
  Obviously in context used, I saw it was not about arithmetic.
  Polymath is the work of coming closer to knowing more about everything than other people.
  I am not a polymath. Among the many proofs are I know nothing about football and at nearly 85 I’m still acquiring vocabulary. If in way I’m a polywhat, it’s as a person with a multitude (poly) of questions (what????) to be pondered.
  Remembering this poly busyness this morning jumped to thinking about Solomon: Certainly a studious well-read man and I believe a then contemporary polymath. He said that after much learning he had come to the conclusion that after all is read and heard it all is in vain and that preeminently we are to reverence God and keep his commands. This applies to everyone though we are uniquely different. (Ecc.1:1-8; 12:9-14) 
EBB4

No comments:

Post a Comment