Tuesday, November 19, 2013

FALLING IN FAMILY PIT


PRIDE IN IDENTITY
Tuesday, November 19, 2013

1Timothy [NLT] 1:3-6 [Paul exhorted] When I left for Macedonia, I urged you to stay there in Ephesus and stop those whose teaching is contrary to the truth. Don’t let them waste their time in endless discussion of myths and spiritual pedigrees [KJV “genealogies”]. These things only lead to meaningless speculations, which don’t help people live a life of faith in God. 5 The purpose of my instruction is that all believers would be filled with love [KJV “charity”] that comes from a pure heart, a clear conscience, and genuine faith. 6 But some people have missed this whole point. They have turned away from these things and spend their time in meaningless discussions.

  Let it be known that I don’t give a hoot about football, but do enjoy family genealogy and history, especially tales of how my ancestors lived. As was thinking about my sometimes hobby I recalled a warning about “genealogies” in the KJV and decided to see if I was contributing to my spiritual decline.
  Using STRONG’S I immediately found 1Timothy 1:3-6, then read the passage in several translations. Next I went to my e-library of Bible commentaries.
  In checking out Albert Barnes NOTES ON THE BIBLE I read: “And endless genealogies - This also refers to Jewish teaching. The Hebrews kept careful genealogical records, for this was necessary in order that the distinction of their tribes might be kept up. Of course, in the lapse of centuries these tables would become very numerous, complicated, and extended - so that they might without much exaggeration be called “endless.” The Jews attached great importance to them, and insisted on their being carefully preserved. As the Messiah, however, had now come - as the Jewish polity was to cease - as the separation between them and the pagan was no longer necessary, and the distinction of tribes was now useless, there was no propriety that these distinctions should be regarded by Christians. The whole system was, moreover, contrary to the genius of Christianity, for it served to keep up the pride of blood and of birth. Which minister questions - Which afford matter for troublesome and angry debates. It was often difficult to settle or understand them. They became complicated and perplexing. Nothing is more difficult than to unravel an extensive genealogical table. To do this, therefore, would often give rise to contentions, and when settled, would give rise still further to questions about rank and precedence.”
  Back then, those Jews made a big deal out of identifying their person by their ancestry. Some still do.
  My mind turned to several Bible characters, then Gideon in particular, he identifying his person by family genealogy: “Gideon son of Joash was threshing wheat at the bottom of a winepress to hide the grain from the Midianites. The angel of the Lord appeared to him and said, “Mighty hero, the Lord is with you!” “Sir,” Gideon replied, “if the Lord is with us, why has all this happened to us? And where are all the miracles our ancestors told us about? Didn’t they say, ‘The Lord brought us up out of Egypt’? But now the Lord has abandoned us and handed us over to the Midianites.” Then the Lord turned to him and said, “Go with the strength you have, and rescue Israel from the Midianites. I am sending you!”
 “But Lord,” Gideon replied, “how can I rescue Israel? My clan is the weakest in the whole tribe of Manasseh, and I am the least in my entire family!”” (NLT Jud.6:11-15)
  Now I ponder “How do identify my person?”
  I could identify myself as did Gideon; A man in a family with history lacking great public prominence. There is a few family dishes displayed at the Smithsonian, but then I’m no delicately lovely teacup, am I?
  No. However, Jesus speaking metaphorically, I am a cup of sorts. As with Gideon, of worthwhile sort has been decided by the Potter’s hand. What this cup carries forth is under the Potter’s grace optional.
  After more reflection I conclude I carry the identity of the Potter.  EBB4

No comments:

Post a Comment