Thursday, November 7, 2019

HINDERED BY HISTORY?


HINDERED BY HISTORY?
Thursday, November 07, 2019

Philippians [CEV] 3:10-16 [The apostle Paul wrote] All I want is to know Christ and the power that raised him to life. I want to suffer and die as he did, so that somehow I also may be raised to life. I have not yet reached my goal, and I am not perfect. But Christ has taken hold of me. So I keep on running and struggling to take hold of the prize. My friends, I don't feel that I have already arrived. But I forget what is behind, and I struggle for what is ahead.  I run toward the goal, so that I can win the prize of being called to heaven. This is the prize that God offers because of what Christ Jesus has done. All of us who are mature should think in this same way. And if any of you think differently, God will make it clear to you. But we must keep going in the direction that we are now headed.

  Our history, bad or good, may hinder us as a matter of our personal choice. Yes, we decide whether it impedes or impels us. The apostle Paul teaches of and sets example of this life-choice.

·         In the name of God with religious leaders sanction Saul persecuted Christians cruelly and did so enthusiastically. (Act.7:58; 8:1-3; 9:1; 22:4)
·         After Saul was confronted by Jehovah God while on one of his campaigns against Christians, he conceded his life efforts to Almighty God, and thereby began maturation in godliness. (Act.26:9-16)
·         Paul, accepting his new forgiven life, unburdened, nonetheless was identified by others by his horrific history. (Act.9:26; 1Cor.9:1)

  Though it may not be as Paul’s, all followers of Lord Jesus Christ have a history. Though few of Saul’s dark level, prior to our personally trusting Jesus we lived apart from God’s imputed grace and redemption. (Rom.4:1-25; 5:8; Eph.5:8-17) And there will be people, including some Christians that will presently define us according to our past.
  However, it may not be past darkness that hinders our discerning God’s will, thereby pleasing Him, and vigorously serving until death or rapture. The braking onus can be our successes that we choose to define our life by. Paul spoke of this.
  In closing this morning’s thoughts I quote the writer of the letter to the Hebrews, “Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God.” (ESV Heb.12:1-2)
EBB4

No comments:

Post a Comment