Thursday, February 11, 2021

DECISION MAKING AND THE WILL OF GOD: Our Obscuring Versus His Clarity

 

DECISION MAKING AND THE WILL OF GOD: Our Obscuring Versus His Clarity

  James tells us that God is not fickle, nor does He withhold “good gifts”. (1:17) Reading in text we see that it is us that is the problem, not at all God. How so?

1. Skewed motives. James 4:3 [ESV] You ask and do not receive, because you ask wrongly, to spend it on your passions. 

2. Lack of Christ-like submission. Matthew 26:39, 42 And going a little farther he fell on his face and prayed, saying, “My Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me; nevertheless, not as I will, but as you will.” …  Again, for the second time, he went away and prayed, “My Father, if this cannot pass unless I drink it, your will be done.” (Mt.6:10)

3. Lack of proper reliance. Psalm 119:104 -105 Through your precepts I get understanding; therefore I hate every false way. Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path. 

4. Lacking repentance. Psalm 66:16-19 Come and hear, all you who fear God, and I will tell what he has done for my soul. I cried to him with my mouth, and high praise was on my tongue. If I had cherished iniquity in my heart, the Lord would not have listened. But truly God has listened; he has attended to the voice of my prayer. 

5. Lack of sincere believing prayer. James 1:5-8 If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God, who gives generously to all without reproach, and it will be given him. But let him ask in faith, with no doubting, for the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea that is driven and tossed by the wind. For that person must not suppose that he will receive anything from the Lord; he is a double-minded man, unstable in all his ways. 

6. Lack of patience. Hebrews 6:13-15 For when God made a promise to Abraham, since he had no one greater by whom to swear, he swore by himself, saying, “Surely I will bless you and multiply you.” And thus Abraham, having patiently waited, obtained the promise. 

7. Unwilling to suffer for God’s glory. 1Peter 4:1-2 Since therefore Christ suffered in the flesh, arm yourselves with the same way of thinking, for whoever has suffered in the flesh has ceased from sin, 

so as to live for the rest of the time in the flesh no longer for human passions but for the will of God. 

  In my lifetime I have been guilty of all of the above, plus a few additional faults:

·         Waiting too long before asking God.

·         Asking everyone except God.

·         Thinking narrowly that life is all about me.

·         Foolishly ignoring the truth of the matter.

·         Minimizing importance.

·         Jumping instead of walking.

·         Failing to consider pros, cons, and alternatives.

·         Bulldozing.

  And then there’s the overarching commandment that His disciples are to first and foremost seek the kingdom of God. (Mt.6:33; Lk.12:31)

EBB4

No comments:

Post a Comment