Monday, September 16, 2013

CAPTCHA


CAPTCHA
Monday, September 16, 2013

  In my everyday ongoing education I’ve learned what CAPTCHA means: “Completely Automated Public ‘Turing Test’ to Tell Computers and Humans Apart.” (Unless you’re pal Dave West you probably have to read this definition more than once. For “Turing Test’: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Turing )

  Now, let’s see if I can explain on a lower plane. Hackers hack by using software designed to roam and discover, and once accomplished they can infiltrate. Computer technology has greatly advanced since you and I purchased our first one, now able to “read” documents if it already knows font style (Called “optical recognition”.), identify faces (“facial recognition”), and respond to verbal commands (Have DRAGON, will talk?).  Put another way, computers are expert at quickly recognizing distinctive patterns. (Such as my rewriting this info from July-Sept. AIG ANSWERS magazine article.)

  Have you ever set up account that asked you to first read a bunch of warped and wavy letters on a patterned background? And like me thought “What kind of security is this, anybody that can read letters can read these?!” Absolutely true, but computers aren’t anybody. Fact is a computer is not a body, they’re an IT that as yet cannot read CAPTCHA.

  Old Airborne tell me they quickly recognize other paratrooper retirees. Elder Marines claim the same. I have seen this insightfulness in action.

  Saturday while at CAF air show in Council Bluffs IA I saw 3 young girls observing events and people as they sat on a 1943 GI Jeep. After watching them at a distance for a few minutes, I walked up and without introduction said “You 3 girls are homeschooled.” Not the first time I’ve been correct in this.

  I’m sure many of you can relate to this sort of recognition in your place in life.

  But what of we who claim to be followers of Christ . . . are we recognizable?

  Jesus said “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. As I have loved you, you should also love one another. By this all shall know that you are My disciples, if you have love toward one another.” (MKJV Jn.13:34-35)  EBB4

 

No comments:

Post a Comment