Sunday, June 29, 2014

FAITH INVOLVES IGNORANCE?


FAITH INVOLVES IGNORANCE?

Sunday, June 29, 2014

 

Hebrews 11:1-3 Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. 2 For by it the elders obtained a good report. 3 By faith we understand that the ages were framed by a word of God, so that the things being seen not to have come into being out of the things that appear. [Suggested reading: Romans chapter 1]

 

  I make use of electricity constantly. Friend Artie and I laugh at electricians’ explanation in response to our expressed ignorance thereof: “Think of electricity being like water flowing thru pipes, valves, etc. with different volumes and pressures and then you’ll understand.” Are you kidding? I don’t fully understand hydraulics, which is the liquid version of pneumatics!

  Soon I’ll be backing my Mazda CX-9, a composite vehicle made up of a multitude of separate and interacting components that I don’t begin to pretend to understand . . . let alone explain, out of the garage and with my flesh and blood composite body that no scientist or medic can fully explain its complex interacting – I’ll control the vehicle from here to pleasant hilltop within sight west of my home.   

  There at Cooper Farm pavilion our congregation is having its yearly outdoor service. Pastor Paul will not be preaching a sermon. He will be answering “hard questions” previously put in writing and given to him.

  I’m confident of Pastor Paul’s competence to answer the questions presented, unless of course pal Cheri or a few other quizzical individuals are there to call out. (I’ll not detail their standing questions at this time as they’ll only distract from today’s DT topic.)

  Hebrews 11 declares that faith involves not necessarily knowing or understanding everything. It also shows us that though lacking complete comprehensive knowledge and understanding, we, as with our past elders, are to make use of that which works. Faith works. Faith facilitates. This I definitely know!

EBB4

 

PS. Do atheists and/or agnostics live by faith?

No comments:

Post a Comment