Monday, April 13, 2015

REVISITING FOREMOST REASON

REVISITING CHRIST RAISON D’ETRE
Monday, April 13, 2015

Luke [ESV today] 18:24-25  Jesus, seeing that he had become sad, said, "How difficult it is for those who have wealth to enter the kingdom of God! For it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich person to enter the kingdom of God."
John 5:30; 6:38 I can of mine own self do nothing: as I hear, I judge: and my judgment is just; because I seek not mine own will, but the will of the Father which hath sent me.For I [Jesus] have come down from heaven, not to do my own will but the will of him who sent me.

  Awoke this morning thinking about Jesus’ words recorded in Matthew 10: "A disciple is not above his teacher, nor a servant above his master. It is enough for the disciple to be like his teacher, and the servant like his master.”
  In past readings of chapter 10 I always saw the warnings of persecution but to fear not, and didn’t take note of the major point our Lord was making and that He especially demonstrated later in Gethsemane: Do not be sidetracked from our foremost reason for being; God’s will be done!
  The Luke 18 account of the rich ruler illustrates this. His problem seemed to be riches, but it was not. His problem was the major one; when confronted with challenge of God’s will as opposed to his will. (Take note that Jesus’ never challenged him on his claim to obeying commandments.) And so it may be with wealth and being accustomed to the level of control it includes.
  To help understand please consider a few illustrative questions:

·         What is the foremost reason for being a soldier? To shoot people? To conquer the enemy?
·         What is the foremost reason for being a police officer? To arrest criminals? To give your mother-n-law a speeding ticket?
·         Is a fireman’s main purpose to put out fires? To keep their equipment shiny and in good working order? To install smoke alarms?
·         Is a mason’s main purpose to lay bricks and stones?
 
  Though they or we may think so, the answer is “NO!”.
  Within our position(s) of service there are numerous line items in job description, but only one foremost reason: To serve Him all of our days.
  Let us hear the Word: While he was still speaking to the people, behold, his mother and his brothers stood outside, asking to speak to him [Jesus]. But he replied to the man who told him, "Who is my mother, and who are my brothers?" And stretching out his hand toward his disciples, he said, "Here are my mother and my brothers!For whoever does the will of my Father in heaven is my brother and sister and mother." Mt.12:46-50 

EBB4

No comments:

Post a Comment