Friday, April 24, 2015

THERE IS A LAW

THERE IS A LAW
Friday, April 24, 2015

  We were enjoying the cool late afternoon in the park. I mostly watching the activities of the 20 or so scattered after-school antics of the kaleidoscope haired black clad teens. Grandson Michael was his usual energetic hop, skip, jump, and run. For one thing he had me stopwatch time him several runs on the serpentine brick path.
  The centerpiece of the park is a multi-stoned fountain topped with an airy stainless steel sculpture. 
  Since the water was not yet on, I asked Michael to climb the stone tiers to the base of the sculpture and I’d photograph him and cellphone forward the picture to several loved ones.
  As I completed the enjoyable task a man on a motorized wheelchair came before me. He politely but firmly said “That boy should come down from there.” Though I had determined the feat to not be grandson endangerment, I took no offense. Curious, I did however plaintively ask “Why do you want the boy to come down?”
  His response “Because it’s against the law!” stirred thoughts of reflection then and this morning.
  There is God’s Ten Commandments and many more laws plainly stated in His Word. When someone, self included, disobeys and thereby sins . . . is our concern about breaking the law or that such activity is harmful, even to the loss of freedom in one or more ways?
  My thoughts turn to James’ epistle. I contemplate “…whoever looks into the perfect Law of liberty and continues in it, he is not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work. This one shall be blessed in his doing.” (Underlining mine. MKJV Jam.1:25)
  What is our attitude, adherence to law, or liberty?
EBB4

PS. As we were leaving we noticed the City Ordinance signs on the perimeter and one of the teens volunteered that the fine is 500 dollars. Duh, no wonder the teens weren’t frolicking on the fountain.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment