Wednesday, February 10, 2016

CIRCUMSPECT CONVERSATION

CIRCUMSPECT CONVERSATION
Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Colossians 4:5-6 Be wise in the way you act toward those who are outside the Christian faith. Make the most of your opportunities. Everything you say should be kind and well thought out so that you know how to answer everyone.

  My earliest Christian mentors coached me on witnessing of the Word written and living. One of the things they emphasized is that regardless of people’s response, it is not about you. It is about the Lord.
  “Okay, got it!” I most assuredly declared.
  As it typically occurs, soon one of the local unbelieving challengers politely asked me “What is your Jesus’ first commandment?”
  And of course I quickly responded by whipping out my new KJV pocket NT and having him, as I was taught, read aloud from Matthew 22 “when the Pharisees had heard that he had put the Sadducees to silence, they were gathered together. Then one of them, which was a lawyer, asked him a question, tempting him, and saying, Master, which is the great commandment in the law? Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.
  I felt so gloriously accomplished . . . until he smirked and said “Wrong!” and before I could utter another word he turned and walked away wickedly laughing.
  At that moment the challenger left me feeling it was all about me.
  Once I calmed down I thought of Peter’s self-assuredness and what Jesus told him. (Lk.22:31-34)
  And then I asked an elder the answer to the mocker’s question.
  The elder gently began instructing how to search out the answer. Additionally he instructed “It is no shame to say you don’t know but will find out and get back to questioners. Now go to our challenger and thank him for provoking you.” And I of course mentally responded “And do what!!?”
  Isn’t there something in God’s Word about striving to be temperate in all things?

EBB4

No comments:

Post a Comment