Wednesday, April 26, 2017

SUNDAY SCHOOL AFTERTHOUGHTS

SUNDAY SCHOOL AFTERTHOUGHTS
Wednesday, April 26, 2017

  Anyone that knows me very well knows that Romans 12:1-3 is a major motivational passage in my life, with the desire to please God and aid my fellow man whether follower of Christ, Jesus fan, or unbeliever. I am highly aware that my thoughts should lead me to use good judgment based on what God has given me as a believer; personalizing 12:3b is essential to my plan to serve Him all my days.
  One of the ways I work at His glad service is I participate in an adult Sunday School class. I value the experience together. But for my heart and mind the session doesn’t end when classmates rise and move to the intermission before congregational gathering. I continue to ponder the chosen text and comments in our very conversational group.
  This week it was the first part of 2Peter. Thoughts on came and went while reading the OW-H including the obituaries, doing laundry, planting cabbages and kale, watering indoor plants, noshing, reading magazines et al . . . and again during this morning waking moments.
  I often think in questions. Not questions involving doubts, but questions seeking increase in knowledge so as to refine me for service. The apostle Peter contributes to my ongoing goal as I examine the meanings of his words.
  I begin by noting Peter is writing to believers but remind myself that God’s Word may be beneficial to nonbelievers; the societal application of the 10 Commandments being a prime example.
  In verse 5 I note that I’m to add knowledge to virtue. I thought knowledge was before virtue? Using study tools at hand I see the Greek for virtue involves manliness. (I pause here to remind modern women that the Bible, as with most literature, was written in the masculine gender. So, unless specifically targeting males, God’s Word, as is the case here, apples to both sexes.)
  Manliness is?
  Thinking about it, especially in the light of Romans 12:1-3 and related Scripture word and examples, I understand it’s being a consistent responsible person in integrity before God and man. Armed with this knowledge I understand that adding knowledge increases and builds integrity. I read on and continue ponderance.     
  Completing this morning consideration of the process list I realize that if and as applied I will increasingly partake of the divine John 1:12 power God has given unto me of all things that pertain unto life and godliness and these things being in me will abound and then I shall neither be barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. (1:4, 8)
EBB4


No comments:

Post a Comment