Monday, November 13, 2017

RESPONSES TO BIBLE ILLITERACY QUESTION

Responses to the Bible illiteracy question “  Surveys show that in the last 2 generations the level of Bible literacy has diminished considerably. Have you noticed this? I have. Why do you think this is so?”

Yes, both church attendance and Biblical literacy have diminished.  When I was growing up, stores were not open on Sunday and most people went to church.  Sunday was a day set apart from work in order to  worship.  There was reverence for God and people didn't take His name in vain in polite company.  People knew the 10 Commandments and had basic knowledge of the Bible.  Divorce was shameful and a girl who got pregnant was sent away to have the baby.  What a change since the  'all about me'  individuals started fighting for "My Rights"---no fault divorce, abortion, same sex marriage, gender change, etc.  It probably started in the 60's with the influence of M.M. O'hare getting God and The Bible legislated out of schools.  Bible reading stopped, children didn't learn patriotic songs or even Christmas carols.  Secular thinking took over.
Before I retired from teaching few of my students lived with both parents or attended church.  One of my kdgn. students felt sorry for me because I didn't have a boyfriend  sleeping with me.
The Women's Liberation Movement has emasculated men keeping many from being the spiritual leaders of their family.  This has resulted in fewer male role models.  Both males and females need mentors to help them grow spiritually and learn to study the Bible.  Few people have had this training.
I recently heard a well-known pastor say that few recent seminary graduates know how to lead an individual to Christ.  Too much time is spent studying books written about the Bible and too little time studying the Bible
Sharon
=
This is about antinomianism, right?
Diane
=
Another informative blog… Thank you for sharing it… Best of luck for further endeavor too. For more information visit buy 420 marijuana seeds"
Anon.
=
I think literacy has decreased in the age of computer information overload where it is easy to skim over large portions of information very quickly.  There are so many outlets for our time and entertainment that reading aloud to children or as a class as a whole is less frequent.  Attendance at weekly church services is not a priority for many. Classes use multi media approaches to teach rather than read, recite and memorize approaches.  Thus we know a little about many topics but few topics are studied in depth.  Preaching has evolved from verse by verse exposition to topical themes, using many verses.  It isn't lack of opportunities to learn but rather the depth of the study process for persons of all ages and learning abilities.
 Jan
=
Courts misinterpretation of so called “separation of church and state”.
ACLU taking the case of minority non-religious groups to oppose any mention of Christ
Main line churches no longer teaching Bible – often involved in humanitarian causes rather than Christ’s cause.
The above leading to ignorance of parents and grandparents affecting their instruction of children
Anti-Christian policies of governments
Gene
=
1.  I'd say a scriptural example of one who leads a Godly separated Christian life would be Psalm 37:4-5 Delight thyself also in the Lord: and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart. Commit thy way unto the Lord; trust also in him; and he shall bring it to pass.
I my case I can look back over life and fully understand while I am a sinner saved by the Grace of God thru Jesus Christ and clearly see a number of things I really wanted in life and He granted me.
2. As for Genesis I have to agree if a person doesn't agree with the scriptural account of creation in Genesis then how can they have the faith to believe the rest of the Bible.  As for Bible literacy without faith it is impossible to please Him.  Hebrews 11:6  But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.
Al, KS
=
I think people in general spend less time in church and as a result in study. Because of that when they do study in Sunday School, bible studies, etc. they can’t get as in depth without feeling overwhelmed. Studies are thus more basic by necessity. Just one reason I would guess.
Ryan
=
Ed, it's because people want "instant knowledge" to pop off the pages of the Bible, rather than take the time to study to find wonderful hidden Biblical "treasure in a field".
I know, because I'm guilty of this myself.
I want to thank you for reminding me to start studying God's Word.
God bless you and your family,
Missy
=
My observation, and personal problem is desire and priority. On any given moment or instance do I desire God? How often do I credit life’s external issues with keeping me from increasing Bible literacy? This being a matter of priority setting in daily life. I confess to being naturally rebellious, the reason I chose Psalm 32:8-9 as my life verses that I review and consider often throughout the day lest I easily regress to being a life being about me, covetous, pridefully boasting, a blasphemer, disobedient to elders and authority, unthankful, unholy, without natural affection, a trucebreaker, false accuser, lacking in personal discipline, fierce, a despiser of those that are good, a traitors, heady, highminded, loving pleasures more than loving God; Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof. 2Timothy 3

Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment