Sunday, October 3, 2021

 BE STILL

Psalm [MKJV] 46:1-11; 57:7-11 To the Chief Musician. For the sons of Korah. A Song "For the Virgins". God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear when the earth changes, and when mountains are slipping into the heart of the seas. Let its waters roar and foam; let the mountains shake with the swelling of it. Selah. There is a river, its channels gladden the city of God glad, the holy place of the tabernacles of the Most High. God is in the midst of her; she shall not be moved; God shall help her at the turning of the morning. The nations raged, the kingdoms were shaken; He uttered His voice, the earth melted. Jehovah of Hosts is with us; the God of Jacob is our refuge. Selah. 

Come, behold the works of Jehovah, who makes ruins on the earth; who makes wars to cease to the ends of the earth; He breaks the bow, and cuts the spear in two; He burns the chariots in the fire. Be still, and know that I am God! I will be praised among the nations, I will be praised in the earth. 

Jehovah of Hosts is with us; the God of Jacob is our refuge. Selah. … My heart is fixed, O God, my heart is fixed; I will sing and give praise. Wake up, my soul! Wake up, harp and lyre! I will awake the dawn. I will praise You, O Jehovah, among the peoples; I will sing to You among the nations. For Your mercy is great to the heavens, and Your truth to the clouds. Be exalted above the heavens, O God; let Your glory be above all the earth. [Also note 1Kin.19:12]

  Sometimes it’s hard to be still and hear God’s Word speak to our heart.  That’s why I prefer to arise early in the morning for Bible reading and devotional time. When something happens to prevent this, it is often impossible to settle down to it later in the day. I read a book once that told of a man, a Quaker, who always had what he called his “centering down time”. I’ve always thought that was a good description of what we need to do while we are being still and waiting on God.

Leslie Nivens (12/12/1928-3/1/2020)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment