Monday, April 27, 2020

DAILY THOUGHTS HISTORY


DAILY THOUGHTS HISTORY
Bless the LORD, O my soul: and all that is within me, bless his holy name.” Psalm 103:1, A psalm of David
  Daily Thoughts (DTs) are one place for serving God presenting His Word and its application. I never registered the commencement date, though it was more 20 years ago before I retired from Lucent at age 61. (As of today, 4/26/20, I’m 84+) Nor did I record the man’s name, and my memory is useless thus far. Hopefully I will one day recall.
  DTs roots go back to an Alaskan missionary pastor/pilot that somehow acquired my name and early email address, through Overcomers In Christ I suspect, though I never inquired. He then arbitrarily added me to his devotional subscribers list, making it an even 10. It wasn’t long until I was commenting and asking questions. A few months later the missionary pastor told me I was to take over for a week or so while he was visiting remote villages and settlements.
  Flora Wiley, High School English and literature teacher always told me I was a writer. Though I recalled her encouragement and urging I approached the DT responsibility with angst.
  During that nervous time I followed that pastor’s arbitrary example by signing up a few family, friends, and acquaintances. Surprisingly none immediately kicked me to the curb. That happened later. After he returned and resumed, I happily again became a calm benefitting student.
  Within a few months he again assigned me. This time for weeks! Still lacking full-time confident trust in the Lord, I requested help from friend Winn Freeman, past director of Greenville Rescue Mission S.C., presently then founder and director of WILL (Wisdom In Living life) Ministries. He quickly told me he couldn’t participate but knew a qualified man that would gladly do so.
  Gene Freeman, Winn’s dad, was a retired bedridden blind speechless evangelist. Betty, his dear wife, was his caregiver. Gene communicated by blinking his eyes. He and Betty worked out a wonderful edifying devotion every other day and sent it to me via WebTV. Consequently, I was a student of Gene’s.
  Soon our temporary weeks became months. Then as suddenly as temporary began it ended with the missionary declaring “It’s all yours now!” By this time there was dozens of subscribers, and the list kept growing. Then Gene died.
  Today there are 323 internet subscribers, an internationally read blog, published on Facebook, plus a dozen non-net postal subscribers, most of which are inmates.
  This is a lifelong story about how God prepared a boy and man for a blessed ministry that he never dreamed of or planned for. That was others that never came to pass. Over the years, due to questions from readers, the ministry changed from 100% devotional to a mix of that and Biblical topics that most pastors never get around to in their brief moments with congregations.
  As dear Ann often exhorted and I now encourage, “Bloom where you’re planted until God may deem otherwise.”, for ours is to serve Him all our days.
Edwin Bennett bullock 4th (EBB4)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment