Monday, May 17, 2021

A SINFUL GARDEN ENCOUNTER

 A SINFUL GARDEN ENCOUNTER

Philippians [MKJV] 2:5-8 For let this mind be in you which was also in Christ Jesus, who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God, but made Himself of no reputation, and took upon Himself the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men. And being found in fashion as a man, He humbled Himself and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.

  One day while gardening I met a great man.

  How do I know he is a great man? Without my asking, he bombastically told me so himself. Smarter and wealthier than the whole bunch, plus sharing a few more marks of greatness, said he.

  I had heard his loud exhaust as he roared about the neighborhood, especially so as he drew near and called out to me. I wasn’t surprised to see the noisy muffler was beneath an aged large Chevrolet SUV that looked like it had barely survived a destruction derby. When he noted my eying his vehicle that looked like some recycling center employee had shouted “Wait! Stop the crusher. We have a buyer!!” he informed me he has a new pristine model in his garage.

  Then he asked me if I was wealthy.

  Dirty and sweaty, raising tool in hand I responded “I do my own gardening.”

  Pausing, then grinning, looking at me as though a sly old fox, he said “You’re wealthy.” (Wickedly enjoying the encounter, I sinfully made no correction.)

   Later that evening I read the free 18 page “COMMUNITY INFORMATION SERVICE”11.5 x 15 newsprint paper he left for us, having distributed it in our area.

  I noted his Mission statement on page 2. In particular the last half: “From the beginning management determined to make God the Senior Member. In a crisis, the problem is turned over to Him, and He hasn’t failed to help us with the answer. Each edition of the newspaper must reflect the integrity of the management. If sometimes we fail on our end, because we are human, we find it imperative to do our utmost to make it right. The Management”

  I thought how very true is “All have sinned and come short of God’s glory”; Like weeds in the garden, one man hoping for my support as he brashly boasted of his greatness, with the other, though in subtle manner, so easily slipping into impishly responding egotistically in kind.

  I pray for consistent Christ-like behavior.

EBB4 (2016) 

PS. Have you met this man anytime recently?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment