Thursday, April 17, 2014

DISCIPLESHIP JOURNEY: WHY WORSHIP?


DISCIPLESHIP JOURNEY: WHY WORSHIP?
Thursday, April 17, 2014

The following is written from notes taken and personal thoughts and load or lightness provoked during Pastor Paul Marine’s 4/13/14 Sunday sermon.

Psalm 115
  The major goal of personal discipleship is to bring my life totally under subjection to the Word living and written. Considering that worship is centered in worth-ship, worship is essential to maturation as the Lord’s disciple. This truth about worship is just as authentic whether in surrender to God or any other being or goal.
  The writer of the letter to the Hebrews reminds us that discipleship is not a casual game: “See that you do not refuse Him [vs.24 "Jesus the Mediator of the new covenant"] who speaks. For if they [OT rebels against Jehovah God.] did not escape, those who refused him that spoke on earth, much more we shall not escape if we turn away from Him who speaks from Heaven, whose voice then shook the earth; but now He has promised, saying, "Yet once more I will not only shake the earth, but also the heavens." And this word, "Yet once more," signifies the removing of those things that are shaken, as of things that have been made, so that the things which cannot be shaken may remain. Therefore, since we are receiving a kingdom that cannot be shaken, let us have grace, by which we may serve God acceptably with reverence and godly fear, for also, “Our God is a consuming fire. [Deut.4:23-24]"” (MKJV 12:25-29)
  There are questions with answers that reveal who or what we truly worship.

·         Who or what do I trust most of all?

·         Who or what do I think about the most?

·         Who or what guides how I see life and act accordingly?

·         Who or what do I invest myself in most of all? Time, planning, money, relationships.

·         Who or what is on my life-throne?

·         Do I ever sacrifice truth on the altar of convenience or desire?

  Answering any one or all of the above questions, I confess I still fall far short of complete worship and thereby interrelated full discipleship. Fortunately I know His grace and that I must consciously live therein else I am anchored in or hindered by the onus of guilt.
  How fortunate we are the race of discipleship is not a sprint but a marathon.
  My dear brothers and sisters made alive in Christ redemption, Please understand that I’m not saying that I’ve already achieved full maturity as my Lord’s disciple. I have not. However, stumbling, lacking stamina and breathless at times, I do press on. I refuse to believe my past and current sinfulness define who I am. They do not. I am His! He is mine! Please, let us in spiritual maturity agree on this so as to not grow weary, but with energy run on as His royal priesthood; thereby honoring and glorifying Him. (Philippians 3:12-16 personalized.)  EBB4

No comments:

Post a Comment