Sunday, December 10, 2017

AUTHENTIC WORSHIP

AUTHENTIC WORSHIP
Sunday, December 10, 2017

   Psalm [ESV] 119:10-16 With my whole heart I seek you; let me not wander from your commandments! I have stored up your word in my heart, that I might not sin against you. Blessed are you, O LORD; teach me your statutes! With my lips I declare all the rules of your mouth. In the way of your testimonies I delight as much as in all riches. I will meditate on your precepts and fix my eyes on your ways. I will delight in your statutes; I will not forget your word.
   John 4:24 [Jesus explained] God is spirit, and those who worship him must worship in spirit and truth.

  How do we know what authentic worship is?
  Am I truly worshipping in the way pleasing to God? (Not pleasing = Not worshipping. Rom.12:1-3)
  Always striving for Acts 17:11 Berean nobility, we look to God’s Word for answers.
  What does “I AM THAT I AM” (Ex.3:14), the Word, Logos, Living and written, say on the topic? Or do we without personal question or individual Timothy 2:15 study and analysis lazily rely on tradition, our own ideas, or how worship makes ME feel?
  We know that “exceeding reverence” of Jehovah God Almighty is essential ingredient for authentic worship. For “Fear is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.” (Pr.1:7; 9:10) This veneration can never be apart from genuine “Thy will be done” trusting that His will may be preservation, diminishment, or demise.
  God clearly explains worship throughout His Word (written) and by the Word (Lord Jesus Christ). We would do well to not simply read but search from Genesis through Revelation, of itself being a worship exercise, but in the interest of our getting to other responsibilities this day, I’ve chosen one summarizing passage: “I appeal to you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship. Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect. For by the grace given to me I say to everyone among you not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think, but to think with sober judgment, each according to the measure of faith that God has assigned.” (ESV Rom.12:1-3)
  We must not let ego, self-esteem, it feels good for me, get in the way of God’s utmost all-wise supplying. His measure is the ultimate standard, not ambience or sophistication. Reality is as Jesus pointed out to Hebrews; it is possible to be very religious and yet not be worshipping Him.
  What does the Word say? What is the whole counsel of God? Are we reverencing deliverance to heaven sans recognition of freedom from past “condemned already”? (Jn. Chapter 3) Do we tell others His Truth as an act of worship?
  And then there is praising in enumerating and pondering the mercies of God whether congregating with brethren or surrounded by hell-bound unbelievers. Counting “the mercies of God” is very much worship pleasing to our Lord and King:
·         Unearned and undeserved blessings.
·         His imputed righteousness unto everlasting redemption.
·         Justification!
·         Sanctification.
·         Freedom indeed.
·         Available daily deliverance from self.
·         His eternal love.
·         His daily and continuing grace.
·         Christ’s ongoing intercession.
·         His comforting and convicting Holy Spirit.
·         Blessed assurance. Absolute sealed eternal security.
·         Faith that is not inert.
·         His provision for strength. (For those interested I’ve a study file on the topic.)
·         Joy unspeakable.
·         Forgiveness always available.
·         John 1:12 family empowerment.
·         A “sound mind” apart from fearful living.
·         Wisdom immeasurable. “the mind of Christ”
·         Training in life skills, especially patience.
·         Position of ambassador of reconciliation.
·         Equipping to serve Him and our fellows.
  And much much more; all of which leads us to whenever wherever to “present our bodies a living [quickened, alive!!] and holy sacrifice.”
To serve Him all our days,
EBB4 (A personal study and meditation Sunday morning October 11, 2015. Reviewed and redacted this Sunday morning.)


No comments:

Post a Comment