Friday, February 2, 2018

AM I LISTENING?

AM I LISTENING?
Friday, February 02, 2018

Matthew [ESV] 16:20-26 Then he [Jesus] strictly charged the disciples to tell no one that he was the Christ. From that time Jesus began to show his disciples that he must go to Jerusalem and suffer many things from the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be killed, and on the third day be raised. And Peter took him aside and began to rebuke him, saying, "Far be it from you, Lord! This shall never happen to you." But he turned and said to Peter, "Get behind me, Satan! You are a hindrance to me. For you are not setting your mind on the things of God, but on the things of man." Then Jesus told his disciples, "If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me. For whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will find it. For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world and forfeits his soul? Or what shall a man give in return for his soul? [Mk.8:33; Lk.4:8]

  Habitual expectations may easily get in the way of listening, requiring reminders.
  Possibly because my brain cells were beginning to starve, I could hear Grandmother McGee peevishly saying “Are you listening to what you’re saying?!!” . . . it and the deeper point itself unheard until maturation took hold. (Maturation is always nearby.)
 Looking at the dark clouds by I recall “Rain rain go away, Come again another day. Little Johnny wants to play; Rain, rain, go to Spain, Never show your face again!” (For story behind children’s rhyme: http://www.rhymes.org.uk/rain_rain_go_away.htm )
  Sometime along my lifeline I stopped singing the rhyme, but didn’t stop wishing its plea for personal convenience until I finally heard and realized how immature I sounded. Later I heard the pride in it, and realized Grandmother’s real concern for her beloved little boys.
  This maturation can however result in pride if I still don’t listen properly: “I sure hope it doesn’t rain on the first Cornhusker football game of the season!” declared the fan. In maturity I heard and in blink of eye in immature pride thought “Idiot!!” (Interpretation: The idiot is not so mature as am I!)
  I have lots of company when comes to not listening, Peter for one. After years of hearing Jesus, his words reflected that Peter had not really heard. Later, via rooster messenger, Peter’s hearing was greatly improved.

  I pray that I shall always hear God’s reign, His Kingdom Word, in every situation whether dry or wet; for in true sensibility who else is there to finally listen to, for He alone has the words of life! (Jn.6:67-69)  EBB4

No comments:

Post a Comment