Friday, February 1, 2019

WHAT'S IN THE WORD?


CULTURAL DICTIONARY SHIFTS
Friday, February 01, 2019

  Even in my brief 83+ years the cultural meaning of words has shifted, some drastically so. “Gay” being a prime example. Then there’s “conservative” that once meant liberal, and “liberal” that had meant conservative. My under 30 grandson has noticed this wordplay in his lifetime already. I’m sure you can easily provide some no-longer-means words.
  Because of these developed vocabulary shifts it is important to as a 2Timothy 2:14-16 workman to utilize study resources so as not to be ashamed.  (Available free from e-Sword or study books may be inexpensively purchased from CBD.)  I often use Strong’s coupled with KJV+ plus then hit “compare” to see the verses in all the English Bible translations/versions in my software. Then I may utilize one or more of the 17 commentaries shown on the right half of my monitor. And there’s more if I want to study more on a word and its connected topic. Before PC this involved dining room table covered with open book*s.
  I’m using “salvation” to illustrate, it being a word today with various meaning or the lack thereof to our mixed religion culture.
  First I search KJV and find “salvation” 164 times from Genesis to Revelation.
  I  select Acts KJV 4:10-12 “Be it known unto you all, and to all the people of Israel, that by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom ye crucified, whom God raised from the dead, even by him doth this man stand here before you whole. This is the stone which was set at nought of you builders, which is become the head of the corner. Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.”
  Now I leave it to you to read the passage in you favorite translation(s).
  Next I utilize KJV+ to view verse 12: “NeitherG2532 G3756 isG2076 there salvationG4991 inG1722 anyG3762 other:G243 forG1063 there isG2076 noneG3777 otherG2087 nameG3686 underG5259 heavenG3772 givenG1325 amongG1722 men,G444 wherebyG1722 G3739 weG2248 mustG1163 be saved.G4982
  Utilizing Strong’s I focus on “salvation G4991“ and look further into the Greek meaning and discover: “Salvation” The Hebrew, and (Greek, "sōtēria", meaning "safety", "preservation", "healing", and "soundness"). Salvation is the great inclusive word of the Gospel, gathering into itself all the redemptive acts and processes: as justification, redemption, grace, propitiation, imputation, forgiveness, sanctification, and glorification.
  Taking advantage of another study help I look yet further into the greater scope of God’s soteria and see: (1) The believer has been saved from the guilt and penalty of sin (Luk_7:50); (1Co_1:18); (2Co_2:15); (Eph_2:5); (Eph_2:8); (2Ti_1:9) and is safe.
        (2) the believer is being saved from the habit and dominion of sin (Rom_6:14); (Phi_1:19); (Phi_2:12); (Phi_2:13); (2Th_2:13); (Rom_8:2); (Gal_2:19); (Gal_2:20); (2Co_3:18).
       (3) The believer is to be saved in the sense of entire conformity to Christ. (Rom_13:11); (Heb_10:36); (1Pe_1:5); (1Jo_3:2).
       (4) Salvation is by grace through faith, is a free gift, and wholly without works; (Rom_3:27); (Rom_3:28); (Rom_4:1-8); (Rom_6:23); (Eph_2:8).
The divine order is: first, salvation, then, works; (Eph_2:9); (Eph_2:10); (Tit_3:5-8).
  Easy? No. And what does “workman” mean? I don’t think we need to speak Greek to understand that.
EBB4

*I’m still surrounded by those books on shelves as I save them in case of a future Fahrenheit 451 cultural shift.

No comments:

Post a Comment