Monday, March 8, 2021

WORDS VERSUS THE WORD

 

WORDS VERSUS THE WORD

  Psalm [GW] 1:1-6 Blessed is the person who does not follow the advice of wicked people, take the path of sinners, or join the company of mockers. Rather, he delights in the teachings of the LORD and reflects on his teachings day and night. He is like a tree planted beside streams- a tree that produces fruit in season and whose leaves do not wither. He succeeds in everything he does. Wicked people are not like that. Instead, they are like husks that the wind blows away. That is why wicked people will not be able to stand in the judgment and sinners will not be able to stand where righteous people gather. The LORD knows the way of righteous people, but the way of wicked people will end. 

  Matthew 4:4 Jesus answered, "Scripture says, 'A person cannot live on bread alone but on every word that God speaks.'" (Lk.4:4)

  I lay no claim to being a prophet. I am however an observer.

  Words, vocabulary, oral and aural reveal much about a society.

  The Word reveals much about God.

  In my 85 years I’ve seen us go from “I’m sad.” To the now common “I’m depressed.” Another transition is peeved and irked have been replaced by anger and hate. I’m sure that with little thought that elders reading this can tell of other reflective vocabulary regressions. The most obvious is a long list of expressive words replaced by the f___ and s­­___ words.

  Is this simply a reflection of lazy minds? I think not. I believe it’s a reflection of our angry depressed demoralized culture. A culture that, historically and hysterically, distanced itself from the Word living and written.

  How often do professing Christians now privately or openly ask “What does God say about _______?” Or, if finding or knowing, telling others of His redemptive provision, and doing so not in anger . . . but with godly compassionate love and grace?

  In my observation not so often as once was.

EBB4

 

No comments:

Post a Comment