Monday, January 20, 2014

DISCIPLESHIP JOURNEY: ME


DISCIPLESHIP JOURNEY: ME
Monday, January 20, 2014

  As promised, today’s DT is written from my notes and sidebar thoughts jotted down while Sunday morning sitting at feet of Pastor Paul as he taught second of “D” JOURNEY 6 month sermon series. Associate pastor, Josh Klein, preached the first last Sunday. EBB4

  One aspect of fasting, whether from food, TV, internet, Facebook, cellphone et al, is what we may learn about self in relationship/fellowship with God and others. Our Sunday School class leader, Cheryl, first asked in class, then pastor asked in church: What did you give up and what did you learn and/or gain from the experience. Answers ranged from headaches without caffeine to serious categorical God got my attention about self. One person shared that they heard their complaining.
  In Genesis 41:50-52 is the record of Joseph, after going from favored son to dispossession of being sold into slavery to trusted position in Potiphar’s household to deprivation in prison to position of authority there to Chief Operating Officer of great nation Egypt . . . indicative of appreciative attitude named his sons Manasseh (Hebrew: causing to forget) and Ephraim (Hebrew: double fruit).
  In NT we read of Saul of Tarsus, man of great education and social standing with tremendous civil authority, accustomed to having things his way, humbled by God, then as Apostle Paul serving the Lord faithfully in his new 2Corinthians 5:17-20 identity . . . and suffering deprivation in many ways and yet declaring “Always be joyful in the Lord! I'll say it again: Be joyful! Let everyone know how considerate you are. The Lord is near. Never worry about anything. But in every situation let God know what you need in prayers and requests while giving thanks. Then God's peace, which goes beyond anything we can imagine, will guard your thoughts and emotions through Christ Jesus. Finally, brothers and sisters, keep your thoughts on whatever is right or deserves praise: things that are true, honorable, fair, pure, acceptable, or commendable. Practice what you've learned and received from me, what you heard and saw me do. Then the God who gives this peace will be with you. The Lord has filled me with joy because you again showed interest in me. You were interested but did not have an opportunity to show it.  I'm not saying this because I'm in any need. I've learned to be content in whatever situation I'm in. I know how to live in poverty or prosperity. No matter what the situation, I've learned the secret of how to live when I'm full or when I'm hungry, when I have too much or when I have too little. I can do everything through Christ who strengthens me.” (GW Phil.4:4-13)
  Do we see ourselves as new creatures in Christ, a royal priesthood ordained to present to others His way of redemption; God’s present and eternal reconciliation? (2Cor.5:17-21) Or do we still think as is typical of immature children: me, myself, and I? (Rom.12:2; 1Cor.13:11)
  Consider this: God likes us better than we do. Study Scripture and find absolute proof.


  “What can we say about all of this? If God is for us, who can be against us? God didn't spare his own Son but handed him over to death for all of us. So he will also give us everything along with him. Who will accuse those whom God has chosen? God has approved of them. Who will condemn them? Christ has died, and more importantly, he was brought back to life. Christ has the highest position in heaven. Christ also intercedes for us. What will separate us from the love Christ has for us? Can trouble, distress, persecution, hunger, nakedness, danger, or violent death separate us from his love?” (GW Rom.8:31-35)
  But how can I change from living a ME life? Let go of my ideas! Be like the one out of many as epitomized in Luke 17:11-19; free of the self leprosy of life, thankful for God’s salvation. To not be thankful is not just dampening one’s spirit, it suppresses the Spirit! (1Thes.5:18-19)
  Satan reminds us of our shortcomings, failures, sins. Hear him not!
  And be prepared to report what we learned from fasting again this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment