Thursday, September 11, 2014

TO SEE THE TRUTH


TO SEE THE TRUTH

Thursday, September 11, 2014

 

John 8:31-32 Then Jesus said to the Jews who believed on Him, If you continue in My Word, you are My disciples indeed. And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

Romans 12:1-3 I beseech you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God to present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, pleasing to God, which is your reasonable service. And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, in order to prove by you what is that good and pleasing and perfect will of God. For I say, through the grace given to me, to every one who is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think. But set your mind to be right-minded, even as God has dealt to every man the measure of faith.

2Timothy 2:15-16; 3:16-17 Study earnestly to present yourself approved to God, a workman that does not need to be ashamed, rightly dividing the Word of Truth. But shun profane, vain babblings, for they will increase to more ungodliness. … All Scripture is God-breathed, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, that the man of God may be perfected, thoroughly furnished to every good work.

 

  I’m presented with candid questions that require effort in thinking before I can attempt to put in DT words, sentences, questions, and paragraphs that I hope makes sense. Everything I am privileged to write does not always do so. At times I muddle. Thankfully there are those that respond “What are you trying to say?” Their questions spur me to further thinking and work to clarify.

  There are days when rather than think, study, think, study, think, study . . . I’d prefer to clean house, pull weeds, unclog toilets et al. But do not as there’s the matter of responsible discipleship.

  I read every day. My home is cluttered with various newspaper, magazines, book, printouts, and of course there’s this screen before me. I even keep something to read in my vehicle.

  As part of discipleship applied in reading I keep in mind “the truth will set you free”. I know Jesus is speaking of The Truth, His Word, but I do believe the principle is applicable in all areas of life, including thinking in examination of what is written in newspapers, magazines, books, etc.

  At times scrutiny of written matter brings me to laughter. Occasionally so aloud as Tuesday when I read “he was shot multiple times in the operating room” that should have read “He was brought to the operating room after being shot multiple times.” Or is operating room (or “parking lot” as “shot in the”) a body part I don’t know about? The receptionist behind the counter asked “What’s so funny?” My answer produced a you are strange look. Can you imagine?!!

  However, most of my thinking beyond reading is more serious.

  A simple example that doesn’t require much labor in thinking: The newspaper article reported that a candidate for Nebraska governor is against taxpayers receiving their own money back in the form of vouchers because vouchers send kids to private schools.

  An example that requires more effort in thinking was recent British psychiatry research report stating youth that smoke marijuana daily are 60% less likely to graduate from high school or college. And youthful users are 7 times more likely to attempt suicide. Wait, isn’t personal belief system the problem, with smoking dope one of set of choices made out of thereby attitude? (As a disciple of Christ I don’t see escapism via drugs or suicide on list of permissible options. Ps.50:15; 1Cor.10:13; Eph.5:15-21; Col.3:15-17)

  And beginning this week I’m thinking about question to be answered “People say God speaks to them. Why doesn’t God speak to me?” Once again, at this labor before me I hear the vacuum cleaner and lawn mower loudly calling my prone to laziness mind.

  Indeed the truth will set us free, but it also introduces us to work required for approval by He that frees.  EBB4

No comments:

Post a Comment