Wednesday, September 2, 2015

RESPECTING THE BIBLE

RESPECTING THE BIBLE
Wednesday, September 02, 2015

2Timothy 3:16-17 All Scripture is God-breathed, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, 17 that the man of God may be perfected, thoroughly furnished to every good work.

  After I trusted Christ Jesus as Savior I was shocked when first attending Evangelical Methodist Church pastored by Don McKnight. In Sunday School and church service people were writing in their Bibles!
  Though raised with a set of moral standards, I was not brought up anywhere near what I now know of relationship and fellowship with God and man. I never saw a Bible in our home until as preteens Aunt Edith McGee lovingly gifted brother Jim and me with pictorial and then later KJV Bibles. (This is not to say there was absolutely none in the house.)
  Already an avid reader I read the gift as I would any other book.
  Though not taught about or from the Bible we were then firmly instructed to care for “That Sacred Book.” It was never to be carelessly physically handled, especially not written on or in other than the ownership page and then neatly without flaw.
  I well remember dropping my Bible one time and feeling nausea as I was overwhelmed with great fear.
  Though I still am physically careful with Bibles, I don’t hesitate to notate or jot with sequential direction.
The Bible is God’s Word, but definitely is to be treated as a tool.
  For the most part I see Bibles treated with physical care.
  Recently I was however surprised to realize that there is a way in which we don’t treat the Bible with the same respect as other books. We commonly esteem novels and educational tomes, whether library or purchased, with greater respect in one aspect.
  How often do we typically read a novel or textbook beginning somewhere other than the beginning? (Indeed a few friends read last chapter of novel first, then read the story preceding.)  When have we, do we, read the Bible from the beginning?
  Some weeks ago I read in Omaha World-Herald of a pastor that daily e-shares selections from the words of Jesus. He was startled at how popular the airing quickly became.
  Such efforts are commendable in effort and subscription, but I wonder how many subscribers take the time to read the snippets in context, or in the gospel, or if ever in the entire Bible?
  I’m not saying that every single time we pick up the Bible we must begin with Genesis 1:1. The point is that we need to on occasion read front to back, Genesis to Revelation, Alpha to Omega.
  Let us beware exercising more respect for the latest novel or trendy educational volume than we do for the Word of God.  EBB4

No comments:

Post a Comment