Thursday, October 1, 2015

BIBLE STUDY -- REREADING

BIBLE STUDY – REREADING
Thursday, October 01, 2015

John [GW] 5:30-44 [Jesus said] I can't do anything on my own. As I listen to the Father, I make my judgments. My judgments are right because I don't try to do what I want but what the one who sent me wants. "If I testify on my own behalf, what I say isn't true. Someone else testifies on my behalf, and I know that what he says about me is true. You sent people to John the Baptizer, and he testified to the truth. But I don't depend on human testimony. I'm telling you this to save you. John was a lamp that gave off brilliant light. For a time you enjoyed the pleasure of his light. But I have something that testifies more favorably on my behalf than John's testimony. The tasks that the Father gave me to carry out, these tasks which I perform, testify on my behalf. They prove that the Father has sent me. The Father who sent me testifies on my behalf. You have never heard his voice, and you have never seen his form. So you don't have the Father's message within you, because you don't believe in the person he has sent. You study [Greek “search/investigate”] the Scriptures in detail because you think you have the source of eternal life in them. These Scriptures testify on my behalf. Yet, you don't want to come to me to get eternal life. "I don't accept praise from humans. But I know what kind of people you are. You don't have any love for God. I have come with the authority my Father has given me, but you don't accept me. If someone else comes with his own authority, you will accept him. How can you believe when you accept each other's praise and don't look for the praise that comes from the only God?

  Gone with the Wind, authored by Margaret Mitchell, was first published in May 1936. It is a dramatic novel romanticizing history. The novel won the coveted Pulitzer Prize in 1937, and is still popular in print and (1939) film. The story is set in Atlanta, Clayton County, Georgia during the American Civil War and Reconstruction period depicting the experiences of the spoiled daughter, Scarlett O’Hara, of a well-to-do plantation owner. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gone_with_the_Wind )
  Mitchell’s GWTW was all the rage the year I was born. I read the tale when I acquired the habit of reading Dad’s novels. Later in life I invested a hard-earned 8 cents to view the rerun of GWTW.  Some folks still parrot Rhett Butler’s famous line or other sayings from the story. (Can you? Do you?)
  There are those that have read the book more than once and seen the film numerous times. I suspect that my friend Don Luben may hold the record for rereading and reviewing as he carried the book with him for years.
  Why would anyone do this?
  Could it be they were not just interested in the literature, but were looking for the mind of the author, some truth about humanity?
  Think about your favorite literature whether book, poem, essay, or devotional writing. I mean the stuff you’ve read again and again. Certainly with each review you learned more, made discoveries about author and self, and adjusted to or rebelled against any insight discovered.
  And so it is with Scripture. To enjoy the challenge of God’s personal revelations we cast aside tradition of one-time reading. We must invest time and thought in rereading what God lovingly provides for our edification. The Apostle Paul emphasized this in his epistle to the church at Rome. (Rom.12:1-3)
  If you don’t already have the habit, how about beginning today by unhurriedly thoughtfully rereading Jesus words recorded in John 5:30-44 more times? Be nourished by moving beyond racer reading.  EBB4

PS. In rereading today’s Scripture: Did you learn anything new about Jesus? If so, what? Did you learn anything about what being Christ-like should be for us? If so, what?


No comments:

Post a Comment