Monday, January 4, 2016

COMMUNION REQUIRES EXERCISE

COMMUNION REQUIRES EXERCISE
Monday, January 04, 2016

1Timothy [ESV] 4:4-9 For everything created by God is good, and nothing is to be rejected if it is received with thanksgiving, for it is made holy by the word of God and prayer. If you put these things before the brothers, you will be a good servant of Christ Jesus, being trained in the words of the faith and of the good doctrine that you have followed. Have nothing to do with irreverent, silly myths. Rather train yourself for godliness; for while bodily training is of some value, godliness is of value in every way, as it holds promise for the present life and also for the life to come. The saying is trustworthy and deserving of full acceptance.

“communion”, Strong’s: G2842   κοινωνία; koinōnia; koy-nohn-ee'-ah. From G2844; partnership, that is, (literally) participation, or (social) intercourse, or (pecuniary) benefaction: - (to) communicate (-ation), communion, (contri-), distribution, fellowship. 

  “communion” is only 3 times in (KJV) New Testament, all usage in Apostle Paul’s 2 letters to the dilemma plagued believers in Corinth. In several modern English translations it is rendered “fellowship” as from the Greek. (1Cor.10:16; 2Cor.6:14; 13:14)
  Yesterday was Communion Sunday at my home church, a congregation presently in the throes of pain and attempting to find and implement remedy(s).
  As in most Christian congregations I know of, we are to examine ourselves in the light of God’s Word prior to celebrating partnership with the Lord. (Rom.8:1-19) This I do in a focused manner before partaking of communion, but I do not consign the exercise to only those brief moments . . . especially so now in concern for our congregation’s present state of affairs. In exploring my other personal options, I could simply fret, bury head in sand, choose a faction to side with, hope time will cure all things or just flee without further thought or effort. And admittedly a few of these choices look quite attractive in a delinquent way.
  I’m doing two extramural exercises:
·         Examining self in the bright light of God’s descriptions of the seven churches as recorded in Revelation 2:1 – 3:14. What do I see that pleases/displease my Father? Do I identify as a member of any of those congregations?
·         I’m thoughtfully reading a fine book handed to me after Sunday School yesterday. THE ENTITLEMENT CURE, Finding Success In Doing Hard Things the Right Way, by Dr. John Townsend. I completed half before Downton Abbey, with more than one page being mirror-like. I’m ordering my own copy today so as to notate and underline.
  So what is today’s DT thrust? The Corinthians had troubles, our congregation has problems? No.
  I’m encouraging an ongoing habit of vertical and horizontal fellowship examination . . . and as needed intensifying the exercise to prevent flabbiness.
EBB4


PS. John Townsend coauthored BOUNDARIES, another fine work that helped me considerably.

No comments:

Post a Comment