Thursday, August 11, 2016

DEFINING LOSS TO LOSS

DEFINING LOSS TO LOSS
Thursday, August 11, 2016

Psalm 119
Romans chapter 12; 1Corinthians chapters 12 & 13
Revelation [ESV] 1:1a; 2:1-7 The revelation of Jesus Christ, … "To the angel of the church in Ephesus write: 'The words of him who holds the seven stars in his right hand, who walks among the seven golden lampstands."'I know your works, your toil and your patient endurance, and how you cannot bear with those who are evil, but have tested those who call themselves apostles and are not, and found them to be false. I know you are enduring patiently and bearing up for my name's sake, and you have not grown weary. But I have this against you, that you have abandoned the love you had at first. Remember therefore from where you have fallen; repent, and do the works you did at first. If not, I will come to you and remove your lampstand from its place, unless you repent. Yet this you have: you hate the works of the Nicolaitans, which I also hate. He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. To the one who conquers I will grant to eat of the tree of life, which is in the paradise of God.'

  I’m still pondering Revelation 2:4-5 in its immediate and the greater context of Scripture.
  OK, we know without doubt that the passage is a disclosure from Jesus Christ to get the attention of the church at Ephesus circa A.D. 96 and, the Word of God being timeless, for serious thought and examination for all eyes and ears taking notice until this very moment.
  We also know without uncertainty that the church at Ephesus did not repent and consequently Jesus removed their “lampstand from its place” resulting in the once dynamically influential congregation diminishing to nonexistence. Additionally we see that though the church had good works that the Lord commended them for, those healthy elements could not salvage the church. Clearly the reason being is they “abandoned the love they had at first”.
  I am reminded that though yes the local church is a body, but the body has individual members – the church responsible as a body but not as apart from individual responsibility for maintenance of affections: I cannot simply blame the body. As a member of the body with the Holy Spirit ministry gift of exhortation I must speak of abandonment. (This being a major reason I am still in the local congregation rather than walking away.)
  Would that “first love” be Jesus Christ? Indeed so!
  And how did He say our love for Him is manifested? "If you love me, you will keep my commandments. … As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Abide in my love. If you keep my commandments, you will abide in my love, just as I have kept my Father's commandments and abide in his love. These things I have spoken to you, that my joy may be in you, and that your joy may be full. "This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you. (ESV Jn.14:15; 15:9-12)
  There are many commandments His, but my thoughts initially turn to several problematic contributors to lampstand removal.
·         Misguided affairs: Lack of individual and congregational seeking, finding, implementing God’s direction from His Word.
·         Internal affairs: Infighting, unforgiveness among congregants present or departed.
·         External affairs: As in the lack of being a Mark 16:15 Great Commission Christian, individually and as the body of Christ. When is the last time I or our local church has authentically spoken the gospel to a soul(s) “already condemned” in need of Jesus Christ as the one and only Redeemer?
Philia,

EBB4

No comments:

Post a Comment