Thursday, August 18, 2016

ENTRUSTED TO MENTOR

ENTRUSTED TO MENTOR
Thursday, August 18, 2016

2Corinthians 5:1-21; 2Timothy 2:1-2

  How has your Christian position as God’s ambassador been going? This week? Yesterday? Today? 
  Mine continues active and developing.
  I say to you, be strong through the grace that God gives you in Christ Jesus. You have read or heard me teach matters from God’s Word that has been confirmed by many reliable witnesses. Now teach these truths to other trustworthy people who will be able to pass them on to others.
  There was time past that I could not bring myself to ask the above questions or exhort as I have in the 3rd paragraph. Why so, because I was conflicted in fear of pridefulness. I am not a Christian of Paul’s stature!
  Then one day in once again reading and thinking about Romans 12:1-3 I realized how applicable it is to my false sense of meekness:
·         Almighty God designated me one of His ambassadors.
·         As His ambassador I have been and continue to be entrusted.
·         My fear was misplaced.
·         My fear displaced my “measure of faith”.
  Paul said “Because of the privilege and authority God has given me, I give each of you this warning: Don’t think you are better than you really are. Be honest in your evaluation of yourselves, measuring yourselves by the faith God has given us.” (NLT) 
  My awakening, actually a come-uppance on my false humility, was in finally applying to the matter what I’d been taught by one of my mentors, “Sometimes we must look at the other side of what God’s Word says.” Isn’t Paul also teaching that we are not to think of our position as lower than it is? Indeed so!
  So, with ambassadorial confidence I can say listen to me, tell others what I have taught you, and in doing so mentor them to entrust yet others who will entrust others who will entrust others who will …
  Now, in e-discussing this topic with David Repair he shared some applicable verses.

Seeking/listening to advice and counsel, from Proverbs (GW):
·         A nation will fall when there is no direction, but with many advisers there is victory. (11:14)
·         Whoever loves discipline loves to learn, but whoever hates correction is a dumb animal. … A stubborn fool considers his own way the right one, but a person who listens to advice is wise. (12:1, 15)
·         Arrogance produces only quarreling, but those who take advice gain wisdom. … Whoever walks with wise people will be wise, but whoever associates with fools will suffer. (13:10, 20)
·         Without advice plans go wrong, but with many advisers they succeed. … The ear that listens to a life-giving warning will be at home among wise people. Whoever ignores discipline despises himself, but the person who listens to warning gains understanding. The fear of the LORD is discipline leading to wisdom, and humility comes before honor. (15:22, 31-33)
·         Plans are confirmed by getting advice, and with guidance one wages war. (20:18)
·         After all, with the right strategy you can wage war, and with many advisers there is victory. (24:6)
·         Perfume and incense make the heart glad, but the sweetness of a friend is a fragrant forest. (27:9)

Regarding humility (GW):
·         When he mocks the mockers, he is gracious to humble people.  Wise people will inherit honor, but fools will bear disgrace. (3:34-35)
·         A person's pride will humiliate him, but a humble spirit gains honor. (29:23)
·         The eyes of arrogant people will be humbled. High and mighty people will be brought down. On that day the LORD alone will be honored. The LORD of Armies will have his day against all who are arrogant and conceited and all who are proud of themselves (they will be humbled), … I have made all these things. "That is why all these things have come into being," declares the LORD. I will pay attention to those who are humble and sorry for their sins and who tremble at my word. (Isa.2:11-12; 66:2)
·         Whoever honors himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be honored. (Mt.23:12)
·         Those who honor themselves will be humbled, but people who humble themselves will be honored." (Lk.14:110
·         But God shows us even more kindness. Scripture says, "God opposes arrogant people, but he is kind to humble people." (Jam.4:6)
·         Young people, in a similar way, place yourselves under the authority of spiritual leaders. Furthermore, all of you must serve each other with humility, because God opposes the arrogant but favors the humble. Be humbled by God's power so that when the right time comes he will honor you. (1Pet.5:5-6)

  I close this morning’s thoughts with my life verses chosen rightly over 50 years ago, and still very much currently needed: The LORD says, "I will instruct you. I will teach you the way that you should go. I will advise you as my eyes watch over you. Don't be stubborn like a horse or mule. They need a bit and bridle in their mouth to restrain them, or they will not come near you." (GW Ps.32:8-9)

EBB4

No comments:

Post a Comment