Monday, August 1, 2016

MISBEGOTTEN PRAYERS

MISBEGOTTEN PRAYERS
Monday, August 01, 2016

Luke 11:1-2 And it came to pass, that, as he [Jesus] was praying in a certain place, when he ceased, one of his disciples said unto him, Lord, teach us to pray, as John also taught his disciples. And he said unto them, When ye pray, say, Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done, as in heaven, so in earth. …
John 5:30 [Jesus explained] I can of mine own self do nothing: as I hear, I judge: and my judgment is just; because I seek not mine own will, but the will of the Father which hath sent me.
Matthew 26:39-42 And he [Jesus] went a little further, and fell on his face, and prayed, saying,
       O my Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me: nevertheless not as I will, but as  
       thou wilt. And he cometh unto the disciples, and findeth them asleep, and saith unto Peter,
       What, could ye not watch with me one hour? Watch and pray, that ye enter not into
       temptation: the spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak. He went away again the second
       time, and prayed, saying, O my Father, if this cup may not pass away from me, except I drink   
       it, thy will be done.
James 4:3; 5:13-15 Ye ask, and receive not, because ye ask amiss, that ye may consume it upon your lusts. … Is any among you afflicted? let him pray. Is any merry? let him sing psalms. Is any sick among you? let him call for the elders of the church; and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord: And the prayer of faith shall save the sick, and the Lord shall raise him up; and if he have committed sins, they shall be forgiven him.
1John 2:15-17 Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him. For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world. And the world passeth away, and the lust thereof: but he that doeth the will of God abideth for ever.

  The line of thought started with a note from distant cousin John announcing that he is in hospice care. Upon reading I sent him a response saying “I stopped and prayed God’s will be done.” John responded “Thank you! God bless you”
  Soon after came the news from pal Tom Beatty reflecting his desire for God’s will. “Well, as of today, July 31, 2017, I have kind of officially "retired."  Actually, I went on "disability" due to cancer.  Please know that I'm OK!   The doctors expect me to "die" by early 2017.  I expect to never die, as Jesus has given me Eternal Life!”
  Then I recalled dear Ann’s 2 years slowly dying of a fatal disease, doing so throughout sans complaint, sharing with others that “Death is the greatest healing.’ and in her final weeks approaching heaven’s gate, asking daughter Heather (primary care RN) “Why is this taking so long, I’ve been ready all my life.”
  Then I remembered King Hezekiah’s ill-conceived prayer pleading to not die, God’s answering with a 15 year extension, and Hezekiah’s ensuing egotistical showmanship resulting in national disaster. To make sure I had the story straight I reread 2Kings 22:1-21.
  Indeed we are encouraged to pray for the sick, and we do, but in light of the whole counsel of God we must never omit the overarching Christ-like “Thy will be done.” . . . lest we be dominated by the self interest James speaks of in chapter 4, verse 3.
  We, as God’s John 1:12 family, are not to be like the John 3:18 “condemned already” lost people of this world. We are to read, study, and ponder God’s Word, thereby changing the way we think and then knowing how to do His will; everything that is good and pleasing to him.  (Rom.12:2)

EBB4

No comments:

Post a Comment