Wednesday, August 24, 2016

NO SUCH SAT AND MOVED ON

NO SUCH SAT AND MOVED ON
Wednesday, August 24, 2016

2Corinthians [ESV] 13:5 Examine yourselves, to see whether you are in the faith. Test yourselves. Or do you not realize this about yourselves, that Jesus Christ is in you?—unless indeed you fail to meet the test!

  Examining self in light of God’s Word is not like taking the SAT test and moving on. Moving within an attitude of examination by the Word is essential to continuing spiritual maturation.  Spiritual maturity is revealed in everyday relationship with God and our fellow man within and without the John 1:12 family.
  I think about this often.
  For some, growth is quite obvious. I cannot however evidence quitting tobacco, abstaining from alcohol, ceasing to run with wild women et al, for due to combination of love and fear I never did so.
  For the rest of us, more passive and polite in person, spiritual maturation is not so readily observed.
  Yesterday, something helpful occurred while I was pondering questions of “Where have I grown?” and “Where do I yet need to grow or leave plateau?”
  An inmate that I have been corresponding with for quite a while once again came up for parole consideration. He sent me an AccessMail informing that he had been denied and is “sent back for another year”. He then stated how thankful he is for the place where he is.
  OK, so you say “You’re not incarcerated or up for parole and then rejected! What does it have to do with you?”
  Quite a lot, really.
  I don’t like authority, especially the bozo kind. As a passive-aggressive youth, I was very much in bondage to my anti-authority feelings.
  In answer to “Where have I grown?” . . . upon reflection with thanksgiving, much where my anti-authority attitude is concerned.
  In answer to “Where do I need to grow or leave plateau?” . . . upon reflection with sadness, my anti-authority old man only has one foot in the grave at times.
  Still walking in Philippians 2:12.

EBB4

No comments:

Post a Comment