Tuesday, November 1, 2016

UNDERSHEPHERDS ALSO REQUIRED

UNDERSHEPHERDS ALSO REQUIRED
Tuesday, November 01, 2016

John [ESV] 10:24-30 So the Jews gathered around him and said to him, "How long will you keep us in suspense? If you are the Christ, tell us plainly." Jesus answered them, "I told you, and you do not believe. The works that I do in my Father's name bear witness about me, but you do not believe because you are not among my sheep. My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they will never perish, and no one will snatch them out of my hand. My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all, and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father's hand. I and the Father are one."

  Even though there are those that believe otherwise, all people, self included, need vigilant sensible shepherding. This is true regardless of age, possibly more so as a senior citizen, for as some people-watcher long ago observed “There’s no fool like an old fool.” To this fact of life I am well aware. I am not invulnerable on plateau above and beyond. I am in this world. For reason of this obvious life-knowledge I need not only The Good Shepherd (Ps.23; Jn.10:11) to guide me, I require counsel from those I deem wise undershepherds. “Where there is no guidance, a people falls, but in an abundance of counselors there is safety.” (Pr.11:14; 24:6)  Not wanting to suffer the pitfall of lone grey wolf lifestyle, including THE COMMITTEE, I have an abundance of counselors. It is a healthy circle as I too am a counselor to others. Not a day passes without this beneficial circular liveliness.
  Among the number referred to above is Pastor Bob and Pastor Scott, undershepherds of the Omaha congregation I participate in. Presently they are providing us in understanding and application of the Lord’s Prayer, the book of 1John, who is our neighbor, and more. And of course they both are available for personal counsel.
  Being enlisted under a one year contract to provide guidance in our church’s difficult transitional period, Pastor Bob and his gentle compassionate spouse will be leaving too soon for this elder.
  Consequently, our church has commissioned a search team. Their work has begun in earnest with a congregational survey in the hope of facilitating candidate interviews resulting in the final selection of an undershepherd that will exemplify care of flock in the manner of The Good Shepherd in these latter contemporary times.
  Several things:
1.       If you were on a pastoral search committee what would your list include? What questions would you ask? Please do contribute your thoughts. Especially if you have been through the rigors involved. (Pr.11:14; 24:6)
2.       By education and past experience I’ve given much prayerful thought to the subject. Yesterday I reviewed and redacted my PASTORALSearchFile, signed it, and sent it as a letter to the search committee and a few other persons that I consider of-interest.  If you would like to see the letter, just ask and I’ll send it to you.
    Let us as the universal eternal body of Christ, His flock, continuing in supportive counseling of one another.

EBB4

No comments:

Post a Comment