Wednesday, November 30, 2016

WHY WAR?

WHY WAR?
Wednesday, November 30, 2016

  “Why war?” is plainly answered in Scripture: it is because of the base nature of man wanting his way, wanting more. Sound familiar? It should, for dissatisfaction with harmony, wanting more was core issue in the original sinning Eve and Adam. (Gen.3:1-6) And, as with all hostilities of small or large scope, there was and still is always terrible casualty -- the price of war. (Gen.3:7-24)
  David, warrior king, cried out about the wasted cruel futility or war. (2Sam.1:25-27)
  Sometimes war involves crime most personal. (2Sam.11:1-27)
  Jesus spoke about war. (Mt.24:6-8; Mk.13:6-8)
  James, in chapter 4, plainly explains the reason for war; and that we make serious error when going to war against God.
  In KJV “war” is mentioned 225 times in 220 verses; “battle” 170 in 163 verses.
  “peace” is mentioned in one context or another 429 times in 400 verses.
  Which will make for the more profitable word study? Why war, or why peace? 
  If not in denial or clouded with emotionalism, “Why war?” is easily comprehended.
  “Why peace?” requires considerable study and difficulty in application. A consequence of original sin leaving man with base ego-centric nature it is easier to strike with countenance, body language, tongue, pen, or arms than to be a blessed peacemaker.
  Knowing my bent, I choose “the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall guard your hearts and your thoughts in Christ Jesus.” (ASV Phil.4:7)  Saying with Paul “Not that I have already obtained this or am already perfect, but I press on to make it my own, because Christ Jesus has made me his own. Brothers [and sisters], I do not consider that I have made it my own. But one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus. Let those of us who are mature think this way, and if in anything you think otherwise, God will reveal that also to you. Only let us hold true to what we have attained.” (Phil.3:12-16)

EBB4

No comments:

Post a Comment