Sunday, September 24, 2017

WHAT IS INEVITABLE?

WHAT IS INEVITABLE?
Sunday, September 24, 2017

   Hebrews [ESV] 3:1-19 Wherefore, holy brethren, partakers of the heavenly calling, consider the Apostle and High Priest of our profession, Christ Jesus; Who was faithful to him that appointed him, as also Moses was faithful in all his house. For Jesus has been counted worthy of more glory than Moses—as much more glory as the builder of a house has more honor than the house itself. (For every house is built by someone, but the builder of all things is God.) Now Moses was faithful in all God's house as a servant, to testify to the things that were to be spoken later, but Christ is faithful over God's house as a son. And we are his house if indeed we hold fast our confidence and our boasting in our hope.Therefore, as the Holy Spirit says, "Today, if you hear his voice, do not harden your hearts as in the rebellion, on the day of testing in the wilderness, where your fathers put me to the test and saw my works for forty years.
Therefore I was provoked with that generation, and said, 'They always go astray in their heart; they have
not known my ways.' As I swore in my wrath, 'They shall not enter my rest.'" Take care, brothers, lest there be in any of you an evil, unbelieving heart, leading you to fall away from the living God.
But exhort one another every day, as long as it is called "today," that none of you may be hardened by the deceitfulness of sin. For we have come to share in Christ, if indeed we hold our original confidence firm to the end. As it is said, "Today, if you hear his voice, do not harden your hearts as in the rebellion."
For who were those who heard and yet rebelled? Was it not all those who left Egypt led by Moses?
And with whom was he provoked for forty years? Was it not with those who sinned, whose bodies fell in the wilderness? And to whom did he swear that they would not enter his rest, but to those who were disobedient? So we see that they were unable to enter [into His rest] because of unbelief.

  “North Korean diplomat says strike against U.S. is ‘inevitable’” published in the Washington Post and repeated in this morning Omaha World-Herald. Hmmm, we may be walking in “the valley of death”, maybe not. Whether an actual or imagined future event fearfulness is real to those experiencing unsettling angst.
  For me to fear is a lack of reliance, the lack being an act of rebellion.
  For those living “in Christ”, trusting His provision of “still waters”, there is overarching guidance, rest, strength and maturation in His promise; a promise that must be appropriated for beneficial effect. God’s stated promise effectually requiring the knowledge that His Word does not necessarily promise removal from “the valley of death”, only that within that valley there is a place of His calm rest.
  As with much of what Jesus taught He reiterated and reinforced truths from what we refer to as Old; indeed old in time but eternal in freshness of Christ-honoring application. Hear and heed Jesus’ teaching recorded by John: “Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid. … I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world." (14:27; 16:33)
  The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want. He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters. He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake. Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever.
Amen?

EBB4

No comments:

Post a Comment