Tuesday, April 23, 2019

COGNITIVE DISSONANCE


COGNITIVE DISSONANCE
Wednesday, April 24, 2019

  Psalm 119:10-12 With my whole heart have I sought thee: O let me not wander from thy commandments. 11 Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee. 12 Blessed art thou, O LORD: teach me thy statutes.
  John 8:31-32 [Jesus explained] … If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed; And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.
  Philippians 4:4-9 Rejoice in the Lord alway: and again I say, Rejoice. Let your moderation be known unto all men. The Lord is at hand. Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus. Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. Those things, which ye have both learned, and received, and heard, and seen in me, do: and the God of peace shall be with you.

  “cognitive dissonance” sounds like a psychological term. It is, the theory credited to American social psychologist Leon Festinger (8 May 1919 – 11 February 1989). Actually, original credit for practice thereof belongs to Adam and Eve.
  What is it anyway?
  “cognitive” has to do with knowledge, memory, perception, etc.
  “dissonance” has to do with inconsistency.
  “cognitive dissonance” is actions inconsistent to knowledge.
  In the case of the Apostle Paul (Rom.7:19), myself, and others, it is knowing the facts but doing otherwise; and thereby not living free as Jesus’ promised and supplies.
  Tragically, for some Christians, cognitive dissonance is not occasional but is their miserable lifestyle. There I had lived, but overcame. How? By studying God’s Word and submitting to the practice of biblical harmony in God’s freedom.
  A bit of personal history to explain: Suffering anxious thoughts I experienced mental and emotional distraction, and resultant physical problems. A passing momentary acquaintance pointed out that I already knew what to do. “You have all the answers!”
  I knew what the Psalmist wrote as recorded in 119:11. Not enjoying Christ’ provision of freedom I knew I was living in sin; wearing my yoke, not His (Mt.11:29-30); and burdened with the weight I was not travelling His way (Jn.14:6). So what of God’s Word did I need to hide in my heart in order to please Him and myself?
  Soon thereafter, in another passing momentary encounter, long since forgetting their name and face, the individual urged me to on 3x5 cards write out Philippians 4:4-9 and carry on my person . . . and read and ponder it every time I experienced discordance.
  And of course it worked. Still does. Praise God, it always has though hasn’t it?! 
EBB4


No comments:

Post a Comment