Sunday, October 6, 2013

BLACK HAT

BLACK HAT
Sunday, October 6, 2013

  Probably other than Dave West, most of you have never heard of Black Hat. Black Hat is a conference for security researchers, commonly referred to as hacker's.
  At this years conference they revealed some interesting flaws in "smart" paraphernalia, including a $5,686 smart toilet that you can flush remotely.  (Just think how much nicer your bathrooms would look without unsightly levers! And wonder of wonders, a solution for those "Did I flush or not?" times.)
  The whizs highlighted how easily those so wired can remotely violate Wi-Fi smart vehicle and home locks, including dead bolts, disarm security systems, adjust HVAC thermostats and refrigerator temperatures, open and close garage doors and electronic gates. (The estate adjacent to my home has one. When authorized people needed to get in but owner is not home, they simply called him of his smart phone. He in turn eyeballed them via his smart phone and then entered code that opens the beautiful iron gate.) They also showed how we can be observed thru certain model TV, phones, and monitor cameras such as the one before me that I now keep a flap over.
  Additionally, it's not bad enough if some crook violates your home or business. It can be even worse: With no evidence of break-in you are suspect plus insurance companies have been known not to reimburse for losses.
  Imagine for a few seconds if I still indulged in passive-aggressive anger and was capable of operating device beyond my "Antique dumb phone.". I could vengefully spoil everything in my enemy's fridge while freezing everything, including his goldfish, in his home, make his garage doors continually recycle up and down, and, best of all, see when he is on toilet and spray and flush repeatedly.
  There are however several reasons why I'm not going to solicit savvy friends to make me smart. I enjoy God's deliverance from vengeful thinking. He sees and knows everything I do. And it definitely wouldn't be the smart thing to do, would it?! 
  Now, if you want to go beyond electronic smarts, look up and consider Psalm 139:4; Matthew 10:29-30; 1John 3:20.  EBB4

PS. Black Hat conference participants, being the responsible fellows they are, when discovering a flaw notify manufacturers.

No comments:

Post a Comment