Friday, January 23, 2015

WHY I BELIEVE

WHY I BELIEVE
Friday, January 23, 2015

Jesus said that by trusting in and practicing religious traditions apart from the Word of God we make the Word of God of no benefit in our lives. (Mk.7:13)

  Why do I personally believe God is?
  Because of His Word, but in telling I must include the influence of several people in memory.
  First understand that we were not a church attending family. The only times I sat a pew was BSA campout attendance and for whatever reason Mom deciding to occasionally Christmas or Easter brother Jim and I at a local Methodist church.
  Until the day he died my grandfather Bullock was a devout Roman Catholic. He raised my father strictly so, mandating parochial school and regular attendance to mass. Dad vowed that when he left home it would end. He stated that he thereafter would only set foot in any church as courtesy to family and friend. This entailed baptisms, weddings, and funerals, nothing more. I never saw Dad deviate from this oath, even unto his own funeral set in a professional parlor.
  Dad was however a firm teleological believer that God exists. I remember him saying a man is a fool if he thinks all of this happened without a maker.
  Grandmother Ida Mae McGee, Mom’s Mom, lived with us and took care of Jim and I. Though she never quoted or referred to, she was a strict teacher of The Ten Commandments.
  At age 8-9 Aunt Edith McGee capitalized on my being an avid reader when she noted my reading Dad’s open books that he left lying around. She gifted my brother and me with a thick manual sized paperback pictorial book of Bible stories. I read and reread it until it was falling apart. She then, without asking Dad (!), affixed several gold lettered and tasseled walnut plaques over our beds. One said “Jesus never fails.” Another “Jesus loves you.” About that same time she gave us copies of KJV Bible, which I read.
  I cannot discount influence in 3 Baltimore City public schools. Though it was limited to Psalms, Proverbs, The 10, and Jesus’ Beatitudes, with every time recitation of Lord’s Prayer, without fail we held to the exercise along with the Pledge of Allegiance. Also, yearly the Gideons hosted an assembly in the gym /cafeteria /auditorium. At the end of their talk everyone received a New Testament.
  Then of course there was dear Ann, a constant influence in patient Biblical example.
  In the autumn of my 27th year, foundry coworker Irving “Bud” Garfield Bond asked if he could take breaks and eat lunch with me for a season. In talking to me about Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior, Bud was surprised at my knowledge of Scripture.
  After 6 weeks of interesting discussions I told Bud I was done. Though believing God is Creator alive and well, I still didn’t believe His story or that He could be personally known. In response to my stated position he challenged me to read Ten Reasons Why I Believe The Bible Is The Word Of God by R. A. Torrey, and handed me a copy.
  After thoughtfully reading and considering Torrey’s words, I agreed with and trust The Word, and how I saw life, this world, and eternity immediately changed and continues to do so.
  During the ensuing weeks I will, one at a time, share Torrey’s Ten Reasons for consideration. I pray that, if need be, your reading and consideration will be a life-changing everlasting experience.
EBB4

No comments:

Post a Comment