Thursday, January 8, 2015

WORDS

WORDS
Thursday, January 08, 2015

  Words.
  Yesterday I saw on Facebook that my favorite granddaughter made a perfect score on a grammar test. I complemented her and asked “You must have had an excellent grammar teacher?”
  Turning phase and sentence is not a driving force in my life, but I must confess that communicating in interesting fashion is an ambition that I thoroughly enjoy exercising.
  In his youth seeing the importance, there was a person that labored at words all his life. His words played a huge part in his being in critical positions affecting life then and currently. As with old Ben Franklin, many of his words were purloined or altered from phrases of others. How many of us remember quotations from W.C. Fields? But we do remember them and other appropriated expressions from the lips or pen of Winston Churchill.
  Two oft quoted attributed to Churchill:

Lady Astor stating “If I were married to you, I’d put poison in your coffee.”
Churchill responded “If I were married to you, I’d drink it.”

Another Lady told as saying “Sir, you are disgustingly drunk!“
Winston responding “Tomorrow I shall be sober, and you will still be disgustingly ugly.” (This line in a W.C. Fields movie, he saying “crazy”.)

  Words, O’ so important.
  The temple police, lackeys of the Pharisees and chief priesthood, when sent to arrest Jesus, were smart enough to know the distinction. Returning empty handed, but with hearts full, they courageously explained “No human has ever spoken like this man.“ (John chapter 7)
  Words, His.
  What do we read and hear?
EBB4

  

No comments:

Post a Comment