Monday, March 2, 2015

KUBLER-ROSS OR GOD'S TRUTH

KUBLER-ROSS OR GOD’S TRUTH
Monday, March 02, 2015

  In the Lord’s prayer in John 17, Jesus said to His Father “Sanctify them through Your truth. Your Word is truth.” (vs.17) “To sanctify means commonly to make holy, that is, to separate from the world and consecrate to God.” ISBE (International Standard Bible Encyclopedia)
  Elisabeth Kubler-Ross, psychiatrist, is trusted world-renowned leader and authority on death and dying, and has written and spoken on the topic. ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kubler-Ross )
  Sovereign God, Creator and Sustainer, much earlier wrote a book including considerable information on the subject.
  Who’s writings shall we trust in and rely on?
  Ann Campbell and I began dating exclusively when she was 15. She was 19 when we married. Ann Campbell Bullock departed this world November the 12th, 2011 after 2 years of terminal illness. She died as she lived, sanctified, in our Lord’s service.
   In the weeks following Ann’s departure 3 compassionate experts gave me unsolicited counsel. A retired hospital/hospice chaplain, a Lutheran minister I encountered, plus my personal physician.
  All three sounded like Elisabeth Kubler-Ross, telling me I would experience:
·         Shock – with WHYS & IFS??
·         Denial – This can’t be true!
·         Anger – At God or medical professionals or even Ann.
·         Bargaining – Trying to make sense of answers to WHYS & IFS.
·         Loneliness/Depression – Numbness, “A Basket case.”
·         Regret/Shame – Coulda . . . Shoulda . . . Woulda!
·         Acceptance – They are gone and not coming back.
  Other than acceptance it didn’t happen that way. Indeed I was saddened but not depressed, alone missing Ann but not lonely.
  Why not?
  Simply because I’m a Christian, going to heaven? No, because being a redeemed person is not automatically the same as living a reconciled life for God. In John 3:3 we are told we see differently; beyond acceptance of death, in God’s Word there is provision for sanctification of those left behind:

1.     Knowing Jesus’ identity, who and what He is. In Matthew 16:15 Jesus asked His followers “But who do you say I am?” Until they truly saw who He is they viewed life thru unregenerate eyes. (Peter, Lk.22:32-34, 54-62; Jn.21:14-17; Thomas, Jn.20:24-31)

My identity is in and by Jesus. Because of Him I see life differently. Jn.3:3; 2Cor.5:17-21
Jesus gives me present and eternal purpose in living. Eccl.12:23-14; Jn.10:10; 2Cor.14-15
Jesus is my Lord! John 20:28; Gal.2:20
Jesus is before all things, and by Him all things consist. Col.1:17
Jesus is the only true Redeemer. Rom.12:1-2
Jesus is the sin-bearer, taking away my burden of guilt. 1Pet.2:24
Jesus is the King of Kings deserving all honor and worship. Rom.12:1-3; Rev.1:5-7
Jesus is the true Shepherd, my shepherd. Jn.10:11; Heb.13:5, 20
Jesus is my peace. Phil.4:6-7; 2Tim.1:7
In Jesus alone I find true freedom. Jn.8:34-36; Gal.5:1
Jesus has made me acceptable to God. Rom.4:16-25; Eph.1:6
In Jesus I can rejoice in all events whether happy or sad. Jn.15:9-11
Jesus is my mediator. Rom.8:32-35; 1Tim.2:5; Heb.7:25
Jesus is my defender. Rom.12:19
Jesus is my hope. Col.1:27; 1Thes.1:3; 1Pet.1:3
Jesus alone makes me pure. Phil.3:8-9
Jesus is that provides for my abundant life (as opposed to loneliness and despair). Jn.10:10
Jesus is my main motivator. 2Cor.5:14-15; Col.2:13
Jesus is my perfect example. Jn.13:12-17
Jesus is my source of strength. Phil.4:13
Jesus is my dearest most important friend. Jn.15:15; Rev.3:20
Jesus is my comforter. Mt.11:28-30
Jesus provides true satisfaction as opposed to dryness without Him. Jn.4:13-14
Jesus provides light in this dark world. Jn.8:12
Jesus provides clear focus. Heb.3:1
Jesus provides confidence in all circumstance. Rom.8:13-17; 2Tim.1:6-9; Heb.4:16
Jesus will never leave nor forsake His brethren. Heb.13:5
Jesus is The One! 1Cor.1:25-31

2.     Knowing who we are; our identity in Christ; accepted, secure, and significant.
I am accepted...
I am God's child.
As a disciple, I am a friend of Jesus Christ.
I have been justified.
I am united with the Lord, and I am one with Him in spirit.
I have been bought with a price and I belong to God.
I am a member of Christ's body.
I have been chosen by God and adopted as His child.
I have been redeemed and forgiven of all my sins.
I am complete in Christ.
I have direct access to the throne of grace through Jesus Christ.
I am secure...
I am free from condemnation.
I am assured that God works for my good in all circumstances.
I am free from any condemnation brought against me and I cannot be separated from the love of God.
I have been established, anointed and sealed by God.
I am hidden with Christ in God.
I am confident that God will complete the good work He started in me.
I am a citizen of heaven.
I have not been given a spirit of fear but of power, love and a sound mind.
I am born of God and the evil one cannot touch me.
I am significant...
I am a branch of Jesus Christ, the true vine, and a channel of His life.
I have been chosen and appointed to bear fruit.
I am God's temple.
I am a minister of reconciliation for God.
I am seated with Jesus Christ in the heavenly realm.
I am God's workmanship.
I may approach God with freedom and confidence.
I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.
3.     As believers understanding and accepting our in-Christ identity above all others; snowing why we are here and living accordingly.
After years of life-experience, Solomon concluded “Words of wisdom are like the stick a farmer uses to make animals move. These sayings come from God, our only shepherd, and they are like nails that fasten things together. My child, I warn you to stay away from any teachings except these. There is no end to books, and too much study will wear you out. Everything you were taught can be put into a few words: Respect and obey God! This is what life is all about. God will judge everything we do, even what is done in secret, whether good or bad.“  Ecclesiastes CEV 12:11-14

  I condemn no one in this. I do however share that if we aren’t secure in our identity as God’s children, in distress we suffer identity crisis. (Who am I without Ann?!!) If we don’t focus on our purpose for being here, the alternative is to center on and define our life by events disastrous and delightful.
  Beware not trusting God’s Word, His truth for sanctification in all circumstance whether sad or happy; otherwise we default to worldly philosophy and emotional drama.
  Live God’s way, live free! (Jn.8:32, 36)
Edwin Bennett Bullock 4th (EBB4) 


PS. Feel free to contact me at ebullock4th@cox.net if you have any further questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment