Thursday, July 2, 2015

IF F RESPONSES

IF F
Thursday, July 02, 2015

On Monday, June 29, 2015 I presented the following:
“Hey ya’ll!
  I’m back! Some asked why I only said I wouldn’t be writing for a while but didn’t say I was going on vacation. In 20 years of going behind the walls, inmates taught me many things. One being “Never broadcast that you are vacating your home for a period of time!”
  For the curious I will later write a DT on my vacation experiences.
  Today, without a single Scripture reference to influence your response, I pose a scenario with question.
  You may or may not be on Facebook. Whether you are or not is not here important.
  For some the F word is now common language. I even read/hear professing Christians using it. I do not. Not simply because profane and rude, but mainly because of misuse; the act itself a wonderful gift from God within marriage.
  The scene: Some individuals are unfriending (Facebook term and action.) and/or severing relationship with users of the F word.
  The question: Do you think we should unfriend and/or severe relationship with users of the F word? Regardless of your position, please explain.
Sincerely, Edwin Bennett Bullock 4th (EBB4)”

  I don’t keep track of amount of responses to DTs, but responses to “IF F” is definitely the most ever.
Please read on:

hi - i unfriend them because: i don't want others to see their bad language on my wall, when they post.  i have a right to not listen/hear/read offensive language” Michelle (NE)

“I agree with you Ed, I have a niece that uses the f word everyday on face book.  She wasn't raised to use such language, really makes me sick to see our younger
generation and sometimes the older ones use the f word.” Bette (MD)

“Welcome home Ed! I too do not believe it’s wise to make it public when one is on vacation.
I too don’t appreciate hearing the f word. If there were more of the Fear of the Lord, we’d not hear the other f word. I would tend to unfriend someone who uses foul language. Why make our ears and mind a garbage dump.”  Mary (NE)

“Of course, we should "unfriend" them. (Eph. 4:29, 2 Cor. 6:17)  I'm not on Facebook, and the way I understand "unfriend" is to interrupt an on-going, repeated, or regular relationship.  I don't think it means to be rude to them or ignore them. In the case of unwholesome talk, I think it simply means that it is now the time to move on with your life by separating yourself from the on-going, repeated, or regular relationships with unnecessary unwholesome influences.”  Tom (IL)

I remember one time when I was on travel in the middle east, that one marine was on the post bus and every other word that came out of his mouth was the "F" word.  I finally asked him if he had any other vocabulary other than the "F" word.  He stumbled and started minding his speech.    I also reminded him that profanity is the sign of a small mind since they don't have a very developed vocabulary.  I don't know what he said once I got off the bus, but . . .  LOL!! 
I think of episodes/readings of Sherlock Holmes where he could put a person in their place with his words and never once rely on profanity.  As you say the "F" word is a verb and should be reserved for interaction between husband and wife.  It is not an adjective nor an adverb nor a preposition nor . . .  LOL!!   A few verses come to mind:
Eph 4:29 - "Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers."
Prov 10:11 - "The mouth of a righteous man is a well of life:  but violence covereth the mouth of the wicked." … Here is another verse that came to mind.  Don't know if this fits the "F" discussion or not. 
Hebrews 13:4 "Marriage is honourable in all, and the bed undefiled: but whoremongers and adulterers God will judge."  Randy (MD)

“What do you mean some?  You mean me!  But I understand your methods as I continue to lead the way for you.”  Al (KS)

If I severed relations with all around me who use the f word I would be a little lonely.  I have stopped the use of profanity, including the f word, at our shop.  I told all the guys that Jesus, Christ and God are sacred to me and Mike and they should only use them if they are praying out loud.  I told them the f word is just gross and low class.  Language has changed a lot. :)”  Cheri (NV)

Depending on who it is, I either unfriend them or quit following them. Of course, there are other reasons I would do this. Not just the "f" word.  GOD BLESS!”  Artie (MD)

No, I'm guilty of using it more often than I should but my friends don't stop talking to me because of that. However, as I'm drawing closer to God I have no desire to curse. Let this be an opportunity to witness to others if one feels the need to block someone because of their choice of language.”  Kaitlan (MD)

“Due to an early appointment I was unable to reply yesterday and when I got home I was too tired to express the thoughts I'd been pondering all day.  The Bible tells us to be salt and light to the world and to treat others with love and respect.  We need to associate with people who 'ruffle our feathers' in order to do this.  I believe it is the attitude of the person who is 'unfriending' another that determines if it is right or wrong.  If it is done with a 'holier than thou" attitude it is sinful pride.  Some may need to set boundaries for themselves (i.e. removing self from language one can't tolerate)  but it must be done in a loving, respectful way. Christians should have a group of like minded people speaking into their lives which should equip them to interact with at least one person who challenges their faith or disagrees on an important issue.  One reason I don't participate in social media is that people reply quickly without thinking through the situation and say hurtful things that they wouldn't say in  a face to face situation.  I prefer hearing the tone of voice and seeing body language to help me understand what is being said.”
srf (NE)

“Ed, I'm glad you are back!!!!!  I would like to get together with you sometime.  I see you as a tower of strength and knowledge and an encourager and have been blessed knowing you and your family.  My reply to your question:  I have never heard a Christian use that term, whether I knew them, read their work or heard them on TV or radio, so I am shocked that this is happening.  Yes, I would unfriend them.”  Sue (NE)

This is an interesting question.  I believe that those who wish to stand against the use of this word and unfriend in order to emphasize their opinions are perfectly within their rights to do so.  That doesn’t really help to solve the problem, though.  Although the vilest of cuss words, I must admit that this word does not scare me or offend me.  And I have found it much more effective to simply consistently correct the offender by offering alternative swear word until they are retrained.  It can be done and has been done with great success.  Just an alternative option to the shunning technique.  My personal favorite is schnikees! 😊  Penny (NE)

And from Facebook:

·         Roger Riha I wouldn't unfriend or sever ties with them. If it became something I didn't want to look at, I would demote their status to acquaintance. Then I wouldn't have to look at it and they would still be a "friend". This gives them the chance to improve and grow, without severing ties to them completely.
·         Valarie Hall-Blackman First, So glad ur back:)))) To answer.....I don't use the "F" word often, but do admit using it at times!! It's a word that is ugly, degrading, harmful and evil. When reading posts or hearing this word, it makes me want to judge in a way that I have no control over! I feel like I need to pray over those who misuse this kind of language. Wanting to reach out and share my love!
·         Lana Parks i have used the word not proud of the fact but i would not unfriend someone that does i would hope that things that i post would leave an impression on their hearts and that i could be a positive influence in some way
·         Tonda L Tavernier When I see that someone uses derogatory language - I don't unfriend them at first. I drop their "status" to acquaintance if they persist which restricts their posts on my page , though I remain their friend. (And I usually apologize to the man upstairs for the language)
·         Stephanie Smith Glad you are back. Miss your posts yet true never say where or what's what's. When we are gone hubby won't let me post till we are home. As for the F word. Yes I have may or may not of said yet not as to be insulting towards others, out of frustration maybe on myself, or frustrated in something I might not have control on. I also believe that I am forgiven as long as I confess I am wrong in my ill actions. And most importantly I am loved. I can not defriend someone who I have no control in their action or words they do. I can tell them how it bothers me if needed, yet most of time I let it go. Maybe and hopefully my actions will be a better benefit for them and they see how it could be. Hope this make sense.
·         Al Heger From what I’ve read the F word is really about fornication. Yet another unChristian act accepted freely in the American society. To me the use of the F word is an extreme method of expressing exasperation in a very direct filthy manner used in a disparaging personal attack on an individual as is the middle finger jester. In today’s society I’d say it’s use it is just about as common in use as today's young people saying “like” multiple times in a sentence. It is simply another example of the deterioration of the Christian influence in the America society.  Many of the people I have blocked on Face Book have been conservative supportive friends…if you want to grow a good garden you must keep the weeds out! To the Christians who see no problem with it, do you use it in church, when talking with your pastor or priest, when taking your mother out for mothers day, around the people you may want to witness to or maybe while disciplining your children...how about the dinner table? Personally, Iwonder if the people who think my halo fits to tight have even read their Bible that morning before they Judged me about not Judging others. In short if you have time to write the F word out, post something you’ve found with the F word in large bold print or a youtube that uses the F word and even with mother in front of it after you watched and heard it...I’d say you should know it is there. It isn’t about forgivness and judging it is about walking and talking as God would have us to do…not make excuses for acting like the world!
·         PJ Steelman I agree with everyone else, great to have you back, Brother Ed. I'm really glad you had the chance to get away. Well no, I don't use the word and it generally lowers my opinion somewhat if a friend or acquaintance might use it. But, no, I wouldn't unfriend them unless I felt they were doing it to get on my nerves or get my goat....and that's someone I probably do not need as a friend anyway. As a musician/writer, some of my friends might tend to be a bit crusty, but, that doesn't mean that they aren't wonderful people....and someone who should have a chance to get to heaven. If I stayed away from these folks, it would cut down on their possibility to hear the gospel. In the long run, that's what I am here for...to spread the gospel. Somebody using the f-word, well, they are the folks who need it....and I am the guy to tell it.
·         Trish Hernandez I came under a barrage of the use of this word over the past several months. While I have rarely unfriended anyone over anything, I did post the following a little over a week ago: " A message to some on my "friends" list: I am so weary of seeing the f-bomb anywhere and everywhere in posts and reposts, including the name of the source. Foul and profane language is unnecessary and offensive and ruins everything else your post. I do not wish to see it appear on my home page. If you have any respect for me, please, please, please filter your posts and stop including me in your list of recipients of such garbage or I will have no choice but to protect my heart and mind by unfriending the guilty. Thank you." I am not terribly computer savvy and the threat of unfriending was the only course of action I knew of at the time to take. Since then, I have learned how to do what Tonda described. I would also like to report a significant decrease in posts to my profile containing offensive language. In fact, only two -- and those two people, I private messaged a loving reminder and both responded with an apology.
·         Al Heger I have done this type of thing a number of times...now I block
·         Melissa Harmon Hi Ed, glad you are back! I will admit, I've occasionally used this word when extremely frustrated or angry, but then Holy Spirit convicts me of it. As for Facebook, I just basically ignore it, unless someone gets REALLY extreme with their use of it.

I’ll post any further comments in this Saturday DT FORUM.  EBB4

No comments:

Post a Comment