Thursday, July 23, 2015

MULTIPRONGED ASSAULT

MULTIPRONGED ASSAULT
Thursday, July 23, 2015

Ecclesiastes [ESV] 7:19-20 Wisdom gives strength to the wise man more than ten rulers who are in a city. Surely there is not a righteous man on earth who does good and never sins.
John [ESV] 3:6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.
1Corinthians [ESV] 2:14 The natural person does not accept the things of the Spirit of God, for they are folly to him, and he is not able to understand them because they are spiritually discerned.

  Are we as good at recognizing sin and its effects as we think we are?
  I don’t think we understand our old nature as well as we like to think we do.
  Don’t know about your attitude, but I know that my believing I have learned super-keen recognition is no more than an ego-centric act of rebellion; rebelliousness that has and still can obscure awareness of devilish flanking assaults.
  Reading Janie B. Cheaney’s essay DEPRAVITY IN OUR HEARTS in WORLD Magazine, 7/27/15 issue, set me to pondering our fuzzy sight. Especially when I read “The threat that some R-rated entertainment poses for Christians is not necessarily that it feeds our lust, but that it feeds our cynicism.”
  I am neither aficionado nor casual viewer of such ilk, but I recognize that natural cynical inclination is circumstantially mine.
  Political campaigning for example, to which I react with superior disdain, thinking I am better than they. No horn blower am I!!!! Oh really? What about the other day when I was regaling a friend with a historical tale?
  I could tell you more but I think you get the point by now. Besides, if you knew all it would possibly leave you cynical toward me and therefore vulnerable to Satan’s flanking maneuvers . . . and I definitely wouldn’t want that to happen!

EBB4

No comments:

Post a Comment