Thursday, September 1, 2016

A DOUBLE FAILURE

A DOUBLE FAILURE
Thursday, September 01, 2016

Proverbs [GW] 27:17  As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens the wits of another.

  Tuesday I failed doubly, and was promptly so informed. In the DT title I incorrectly spelled temperament as temperment, AND knowing my spellcheck software doesn’t correct titling I failed to check it. I appreciate the remain anonymous spellchecker for notifying me . . . and setting me on a lively path of thought that awakened me this morning: There is a far greater double failure.
  We can focus on that which may distract us from the most important spiritual application.
  Again pondering the matter in light of God’s Word, initially reviewing Revelation 2:1-6 letter to the congregation at Ephesus, the Word remaining applicable to assemblies and individuals everywhere ever since. Social works, patience in serving, resisting and fighting sin, despising false efforts were and continue to be commendable. Lacking in vertical and horizontal love is definitely not commendable.
  Next my thoughts turned to Jesus’ encounter with scribe, a legal expert learned in written Scripture available at that time and much quoted and referred to by Christ.

One of the teachers of the Law of Moses came up while Jesus and the Sadducees were arguing. When he heard Jesus give a good answer, he asked him, "What is the most important commandment?" Jesus answered, "The most important one says: 'People of Israel, you have only one Lord and God. You must love him with all your heart, soul, mind, and strength.' The second most important commandment says: 'Love others as much as you love yourself.' No other commandment is more important than these." The man replied, "Teacher, you are certainly right to say there is only one God. It is also true that we must love God with all our heart, mind, and strength, and that we must love others as much as we love ourselves. These commandments are more important than all the sacrifices and offerings that we could possibly make." When Jesus saw that the man had given a sensible answer, he told him, "You are not far from God's kingdom." After this, no one dared ask Jesus any more questions. (CEV Mk.12:28-34)

  Battling sin is very important, but it is very easy to primarily focus on resisting and overcoming sin in attempting to please God and man (fellow Christians in particular) and therefore be ill-equipped “to determine what God really wants-what is good, pleasing, and perfect.”(GW Rom.12:1-2); to love Him and one another and therein and thereby as byproduct accomplish resisting and overcoming “sin that so easily besets us”. (Heb.12)
  Jesus explained this correct order of heart and activity to the legalities-over-love people, Sadducees, Pharisees, Jews, and many of His followers then and since: “love me, keep my commandments.” (Grammarians, Please do take note of the placement of the comma.)
  Was the spelling correction ment to test my temper? I think not, for I know the heart of my corrector. Did it stimulate my heart and mind? Most certainly!
  And yours?!

EBB4

No comments:

Post a Comment