Friday, September 9, 2016

CHARITY

CHARITY
Monday, March 05, 2012

1Corinthians 13 … now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity.

  Not long after WWII Dad and Mom purchased there second, moving us from Hamilton to Dundalk. It was wonderfully near a lot of historic colonial geography. Across the center humped road of tar and Bethlehem Steel cinders (Not good to fall off bike on.) was a huge old plantation with negro families living in the old main house and dirt floor slave quarters. Brother Jim, I, and our new playmates ranged far and wide over fields woods, swamps, and gravel pits reliving the battle of Sollers Point
  Dad took us to meet the seller’s family. I don’t remember anything about the couple other than he was very big and she was very little. What I especially remember is they had 3 daughters, Faith, Hope, and Charity. I remember Charity most of all, she was the friendliest, most beautiful and funny. It wasn’t until a few years later when Aunt Edith gifted me with my first Bible that I discovered that the girls’ names came from the Word of God.
  Later yet, God began through dear Ann to seriously teach me what charity is. It was through her Biblical worldview and its resultant lifestyle that I came to understand godly charity. It wasn’t that I’d never practiced charity, but hadn’t known that 1Corinthians 13 charity went far beyond feeling gloriously loving in having something to give away. Biblical charity may involve not at all wanting to give, and even when doing so, not enjoying it.
  As you know, I prefer KJV and MKJV. It’s not that all other versions are covertly or overtly wrong. It’s that I prefer reading their language first because of the practice of contemporizing phrases and words.
1Corinthians 13 is an example of this. What does “love” as opposed to “charity” mean to most people today? (Have you ever tried reading the 23rd Psalm in a new English version?”
  Indeed “charity” entails affection, but in practice it definitely requires personal benevolence. (By this time some of you have referenced Strong’s Exhaustive Concordance.) But then we don’t have to do a word study to understand this charity, do we? Reading “love” contextually in contemporary English versions, are we left with any doubt?

  I wonder whatever happened to Charity, and if she lived up to the name her parents chose for her?  EBB4

No comments:

Post a Comment