Tuesday, December 6, 2016

TWAS THE NIGHT BEFORE...

TWAS THE NIGHT BEFORE …
Tuesday, December 06, 2016

  I was doubly excited. I was more aware of life than ever before. Every day was anticipated for event and incident as a new adventure. I and my neighborhood girl and boy pals didn’t know boring or depression. We weren’t wealthy, didn’t know about weekly allowances and had to earn pennies, nickels and dimes doing chores for neighbors if we wanted penny treats at the corner candy store or the 8 cents for Saturday morning matinee movie. (Chores done at home were without remuneration for “Family takes care of family, and ‘Virtue is its own reward.’”) John Rosemond would have loved our parents for they were philosophical poles apart from helicopter egalitarian parenting. Our days were filled with fun, learning, revelations. Christmas was soon to be and in a month I’d be 6 years old! Indeed I was more aware of life than ever before.
  It was Saturday, December 6th, 1941 on placid Evergreen Avenue. Bath and cod liver or mineral oil evening. (Can you hear the gagging echoes?) As with most nights, bedtime included Grandmother or Uncle Jim hugging and tucking me and 2 years younger brother Jim in after our kneeling beside our beds and saying “Now I lay me down to sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to keep. If I should die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.”
  Sunday was a drastically new experience. Our phone unusually ringing often but without explanation to Jim or me as we repeatedly asked. Groups of neighbors gathered on lawns, porches and in the street. Some men’s profanity falling anew on our ears as tears fell from women’s eyes.
  That “day of infamy” changed my life. I learned doubt, fear, and hatred.
  However, 21 years later I came to know that compared to all that was, is, and ever will be, Pearl Harbor Day is but a blip on history’s timeline. The much larger effectual surprise is the sooner or later return of Lord Jesus Christ as He will “come as a thief in the night”. (Mt.24:43; 1Thes.5:2) And as with the USA land and sea introduction to WWII a minority will be prepared (1Thes.5:1, 4, 9), whereas the majority will not (1Thes.5:3, 5; Mt.7:14).
  Dear fellow traveler, if you have not done so already, please “Be ready, because the Son of Man will come at an hour when you do not expect Him” (Mt.24:44) Jesus Christ alone is the one to trust as “the way, truth, and life” (Jn.14:6) I plead with you to do so as we know not when death or His return will end this time of opportunity unto salvation with its available personal authentic peace and freedom. I and other caring followers of Christ appeal to you to receive the grace of God unto everlasting life. For He says, "In a favorable time I listened to you, and in a day of salvation I have helped you." Behold, now is the favorable time; behold, now is the day of salvation.” (ESV 2Cor.6:1-2)
  For “… just as it is appointed for man to die once, and after that comes judgment, so Christ, having been offered once to bear the sins of many, will appear a second time, not to deal with sin but to save those who are eagerly waiting for him.“ (ESV Heb.9:27-28)
  Admittedly I do like it here but am eagerly awaiting meeting my Redeemer. But that’s another conflict story I often consider.
EBB4



No comments:

Post a Comment