Monday, December 5, 2016

WEARING THE MANTLE UTMOST

WEARING THE MANTLE OF UTMOST
Monday, December 05, 2016

  Not for one second do I consider myself without sin or having arrived. (1Jn.1:8; Phil.3:12)
  Yesterday I read ROCKETEER in December SMITHSONIAN magazine. It is about Jeff Bezos, age 52, new-economy pioneer that revolutionized retailing with his founding Amazon.com., the vastly stocked always-open market. (As a non-driver which I twice ordered from yesterday afternoon.) Not satisfied to rest on his wide and deep river of income, he founded Blue Origin, reportedly investing 500M of his own money and obviously considerable ongoing attention. Bezos is a man of goals, some already met, with more to accomplish.
  “When you look at expendable [one-way trip] rockets today, the cost of propellant is only about 1 percent of the cost of a mission,” “The big costs come from throwing that aerospace-grade hardware away. With reusability, in theory, you can see a path to lowering the cost of access to space by a factor of 100.” (Think 100M trips reduced to costing 1M.)
  So far Blue Origin rockets have flown to space and re-landed tail down numerous times and will likely continue doing so with larger and larger spacecraft. Impressive, but not what turned my mind to God’s Word. That was result of Bezos attitude going beyond up and down launching and landing: “Bezos isn’t building a rocket business for profitability in 2020. He’s aiming for market dominance in 2040”
  I’m not the least interested in dominating market or people. Actually I cringe at the ugly thought. I am however very interested in what dominates my attitude . . . and the attitude of fellow travelers; the will of God beyond and above comparatively lesser battles. I desire the higher calling that Paul desired: “It's not that I've already reached the goal or have already completed the course. But I run to win that which Jesus Christ has already won for me. Brothers and sisters, I can't consider myself a winner yet. This is what I do: I don't look back, I lengthen my stride, and I run straight toward the goal to win the prize that God's heavenly call offers in Christ Jesus. Whoever has a mature faith should think this way. And if you think differently, God will show you how to think. However, we should be guided by what we have learned so far. Brothers and sisters, imitate me, and pay attention to those who live by the example we have given you.” (GW Phil.3:12-17)
  Consider Jesus’, God Incarnate, the only begotten Son of Jehovah, teaching of and exemplifying the utmost goal:” After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven. “ . . .  I can of mine own self do nothing: as I hear, I judge: and my judgment is just; because I seek not mine own will, but the will of the Father which hath sent me.” . . . “O my Father, if this cup may not pass away from me, except I drink it, thy will be done.“ (Mt.6:9-10; Jn.5:30; Mt.26:42)
  As initially stated, I indeed do sin. And sin should be dealt with, but I must not let that goal occupy unto the superseding of the utmost goal and thereby keep me fastened to a launching pad; nonetheless battling sin but therefore going highest to the maturity of not my own will but the will of my Father. (Rom.12:1-3; Heb.6:1)

EBB4

No comments:

Post a Comment