Tuesday, May 30, 2017

DELIBERATE CONTEMPLATION

DELIBERATE CONTEMPLATION
Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Deuteronomy 32:7 Remember the days of old; consider the years of many generations. Ask your father, and he will show you; your elders, and they will tell you.

  Deliberate contemplation does not come natural to me. I must work at the discipline. Yesterday, Memorial Day, I purposely invested time and effort in the worthwhile training. My main goal being to hear and contemplate “Your story?” if willing to share. Most encountered were agreeable as it was that kind of day.
  Forest Lawn Cemetery outdoor memorial service at 10am turned out to require work focusing on the stated theme as it was a somewhat organized ceremony. The individual before and after conversations were edifying.
  Passing Potter’s Field on my drive home I was impeded by 12 neatly uniformed men dismounting vehicles and motorcycles. They quickly formed up, sharply marched thru the small gate. On command they fired a 21 gun salute. On command they pivoted left and marched back to their cars, but not without thanking me for joining in their respect. Their respect exercised every Memorial Day at a number of locations, most of them sans participants, spectators, TV cameras with commentators as had been earlier up the hill beyond the copse of brushy trees.
  As I slowly walked the 5.5 acres containing 1,663 paupers, 1,180 of them under 2 years of age, 483 of which were stillborn, all interred in a place with only a half dozen or so markers, most of them illegible or not-engraved crumbling concrete . . . without effort I was focused.
  A bit later my granddaughter and greatgrandson accompanied me to Two Rivers State Park. There I chatted with family, friends, and yet more strangers.
  Driving home alone, as planned I stopped at the remote but well kept Elk City Cemetery. (As with a number of pioneer dreams, Elk City was a city-to-be that wasn’t.) There becoming engaged with the only 2 others visiting. Kelli, while pregnant, abandoned by irresponsible “Want to do my own thing.” The daughter Shaylee, 3, a delightfully precocious Shirley Temple “I know things.” type. They soon to move far west were there in respect for Lawrence, USNavy veteran, an older man that supported them thru the difficult times.
  Other than the occasional rumble on the adjacent gravel road, it was quiet while viewing and wondering about pioneers, Civil War, WWI, WWII, Korean, Vietnam veterans, others, to one quite recent grassless grave.
  And how was your day of remembrance?

EBB4

No comments:

Post a Comment