Thursday, May 25, 2017

THE SELFSAME SPIRIT

THE SELFSAME SPIRIT
Thursday, May 25, 2017

2Timothy [NLT] 2:1-7 Timothy, my dear son, be strong through the grace that God gives you in Christ Jesus.  You have heard me teach things that have been confirmed by many reliable witnesses. Now teach these truths to other trustworthy people who will be able to pass them on to others.
Endure suffering along with me, as a good soldier of Christ Jesus.  Soldiers don’t get tied up in the affairs of civilian life, for then they cannot please the officer who enlisted them.  And athletes cannot win the prize unless they follow the rules.  And hardworking farmers should be the first to enjoy the fruit of their labor.  Think about what I am saying. The Lord will help you understand all these things.
Hebrews 4:12-13 For the word of God is alive and powerful. It is sharper than the sharpest two-edged sword, cutting between soul and spirit, between joint and marrow. It exposes our innermost thoughts and desires. Nothing in all creation is hidden from God. Everything is naked and exposed before his eyes, and he is the one to whom we are accountable.

  Thankfully I continue to be beneficially blessed by mentors, teachers, and pastors faithful to the Word.
  Last evening Pastor Bob Myers presented a comprehensive one hour overview of church history. Not an easy task. He acquitted himself well. We shall miss him and his dear wife as they completed their one year contract of interim service. We have benefited by his informing, reminding, stimulation to meditative examination. He truly fulfills the Timothian mandate.
  Last evening, as my roaming mind does, I recalled a personal experience. A terrifying one it was. And driving home after the class I again rejoiced in having wise guides that unwaveringly directed me to sola scriptura; God’s Word alone to answer questions. Though they never gave me the words, they gave me the foundation for writing essays such as “I AM NOT A BAPTIST”. (Available upon request.)
  In my first months as a follower of Christ I was approached by a number of fervent denominationalists of various banner, they aggressively wanting me to join them.
  The one example in particular that I remembered was when I was challenged as to whether I had yet received God’s Holy Spirit as evidenced by speaking in tongues. I replied that I did not speak in tongues. With this they informed me that I was not really saved because not speaking in tongues meant I didn’t enjoy the indwelling of God’s Holy Spirit . . . not having His Holy Spirit meant I was not truly redeemed, for only those indwelled by God’s Holy Spirit are redeemed unto life eternal. After a few days of frightful worrying, praying for the gift of tongues, I left off stumbling over my Psalm 32:8-9 pride and went to my mentors.
  Their instruction was quick, easy, and lovingly provocative. “Have you checked to see what God’s Word says on the topic?”
  After confessing to my self-reliance they showed me 1Corinthians chapters 12-14. With two-edged sword in hand I returned to my tormentors. Reviewing the passage with them I then asked them to explained how “selfsame Spirit” (12:11) fit in with their must-speak-in-tongues position on redemption? They Biblically could not.
  We should never abstain from hearing challenging spiritual questions. Refraining should never be a solution. In light of Hebrews 4:13, how we answer is.

EBB4

No comments:

Post a Comment