Wednesday, January 3, 2018

OPTIMIZING SERENITY

OPTIMIZING SERENITY
Wednesday, January 03, 2018

Philippians [ESV] chapter 3 [Paul said] … Not that I have already obtained this or am already perfect, but I press on to make it my own, because Christ Jesus has made me his own. Brothers, I do not consider that I have made it my own. But one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus. Let those of us who are mature think this way, and if in anything you think otherwise, God will reveal that also to you. Only let us hold true to what we have attained. Brothers, join in imitating me, and keep your eyes on those who walk according to the example you have in us. … [Also note Mt.5:48]

  Due to our and others’ nature and this chaotic world we cannot individually or collegiately regain the wholeness of Adam and Eve in the garden in Eden. We can however live according to God’s guidance and thereby optimize serenity allowing us not only the utmost degree of individual and/or group peace, but the highest personal wholeness that enables us to serve God and others in our most functional mature manner. Though 82 in a few days and “in Christ” for 55+ years, I am definitely not the man I was, but I do know I have not yet attained the possible fullness. As with Paul, my race continues.
  Again I share the application verses that continue to improve me. Psalm 1; Psalm 119; Proverbs 23:7; Romans 12:1-3; 1Peter 5:6-7; 1Thessalonians 5:18; Philippians 4:6-9; And the complete Serenity Prayer.
  After initial deliverance from self in this area I was taught preservation in maintenance. Maintenance being not waiting until needy or in crisis, but to often “think on these things”. (Phil.4:8)
  Today I add the helpful matter of imitation. An enlightening confronting lesson coming not from a Bible preacher or teacher, but from a grumpy argumentative agnostic.
  It was break time. Coworkers were bemoaning and discussing stress. Grumpy, himself a stressor for many quietly listened and then said we all were a “crock”. From personal; experience and continuing observation he went on to explain. It went something like this ….
  Put a mixed group of 100 in an area. Different sexes, ages, education levels et al. Train, equip and give them each the same exact tasked responsibility. Upon observation and conversation you will find:
1.       Some are delighted.
2.       Some are bored.
3.       Some are simply calmly doing the requested.
4.       Some are stressed.
5.       Some are exceedingly stressed.
  Grumpy then made the point that personality on any given day is the deciding factor when it comes to stressed or non-stressed living. Hearing his words, some obviously became stressed and defensive. Afterward I pondered his lesson. I admitted that always seeking comfortable environment only enables escaping needed change in self. Then I was reminded of Philippians 3:17, leaving me with the question “Who am I imitating?”
EBB4

  

No comments:

Post a Comment