Wednesday, October 9, 2019

ANGER 101

ANGER 101
Wednesday, October 9, 2019

  John [GW] 1:9-12 The real light, which shines on everyone, was coming into the world. He was in the world, and the world came into existence through him. Yet, the world didn't recognize him. He went to his own people, and his own people didn't accept him. However, he gave the right to become God's children to everyone who believed in him.
  Ephesians 2:19-22; 4:26-27 That is why you are no longer foreigners and outsiders but citizens together with God's people and members of God's family. You are built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets. Christ Jesus himself is the cornerstone. In him all the parts of the building fit together and grow into a holy temple in the Lord. Through him you, also, are being built in the Spirit together with others into a place where God lives. … Be angry without sinning. Don't go to bed angry. Don't give the devil any opportunity to work.
  Philippians 1:27-30 Live as citizens who reflect the Good News about Christ. Then, whether I come to see you or whether I stay away, I'll hear all about you. I'll hear that you are firmly united in spirit, united in fighting for the faith that the Good News brings. So don't let your opponents intimidate you in any way. This is God's way of showing them that they will be destroyed and that you will be saved. God has given you the privilege not only to believe in Christ but also to suffer for him. You are involved in the same struggle that you saw me having. Now you hear that I'm still involved in it.

  I’m asked about anger as a personal issue. I’ve previously given the emotion much thought, reading time, and written about and taught on a number of times, quite often in inmate classes. I could do a simple pull-and-copy-redact on the emotion but know that responsibly in and toward good health I should not. I will begin without opening binder, then shall review file.
  As a consequence of my temperament I was called “Sunny” until as an adult I insisted on “Ed”. What the designators didn’t know was that I had an anger problem, the passive aggressive kind. And as with many passive aggressive types, I abhorred the overtly violent furious fellows, even in self-pride considering myself superior in intellect and the strikers an ignorant unsophisticated bunch. Then there was the family tradition to uphold; I never once saw a Bullock overtly angry. We were the cool controlled family.
  How to begin addressing the emotional problem? How do I, we, “be angry and sin not”? Lest shame be mine later, by the weight of God’s Word of course! (2Tim.2:15)
  For my, your, study and serious contemplation I share from ISBE:

Anger: an´gẽr: In the Old Testament, the translation of several Hebrew words, especially of אף'aph (lit. “nostril,” “countenance”), which is used some 45 times of human, 177 times of Divine, anger (OHL). The word occurs rarely in the New Testament (Mar_3:5Eph_4:31Col_3:8Rev_14:10), its place being taken by the word “wrath” (see WRATH). As a translation of words denoting God's “anger,” the English word is unfortunate so far as it may seem to imply selfish, malicious or vindictive personal feeling. The anger of God is the response of His holiness to outbreaking sin. Particularly when it culminates in action is it rightly called Has “wrath.” The Old Testament doctrine of God's anger is contained in many passages in the Pentateuch, Psalms and the Prophets. In Proverbs men are dissuaded from anger (Pro_15:1Pro_27:4), and the “slow to anger” is commended (Pro_15:18Pro_16:32Pro_19:11). Christians axe enjoined to put away the feeling of self-regarding, vindictive anger (Eph_4:31Col_3:8), and to cherish no desire of personal revenge (Eph_4:26).

  In reviewing the Bible references in the above paragraph from ISBE I am again reminded of the clear distinction between sinful and righteous anger.
  • Harmful sinful anger is centered in self-regard, a life-is-all-about-me worldview.
  • Constructive anger is edification centered in seeing life eternally about John 1:12 family and citizenship
  Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God which passes all understanding shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus. Finally, my brothers [and sisters], whatever things are true, whatever things are honest, whatever things are right, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report; if there is any virtue and if there is any praise, think on these things. Do those things which you have also learned and received and heard and seen in me. And the God of peace shall be with you.” (MKJV Phil.4:6-9)
EBB4

No comments:

Post a Comment